Weird fluttering noise...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Weird fluttering noise... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well yesterday my egt sensor on the upipe got loose somehow while i was on the highway today i took ...

Weird fluttering noise...

well yesterday my egt sensor on the upipe got loose somehow while i was on the highway today i took it to bird road subaru because they had done an O2 sensor installation on my exhaust manifold so i thought that had gotten loose and took it back it turned out to be the egt on the up and they fixied it and re-tightened the up/downpipe bolts...

so when he finally handed my car back i was leaving and everytime i start to hit boost i hear this strange fluttering noise it sounds like air is coming out from somewhere...it kinda resembles a bent valve but not so much a loud metal rattle im pretty sure its air escaping from somewhere...and its coming from the upipe-area of the engine...so i took it back and let him hear it...

it doesnt do it if i rev a little it has to actually boost so i had to take him for a spin and he heard it and took it back and tried checking the up/down pipe for the origin of the noise after 20 min he came to the conclusion that it wasnt an exhaust leak but it was carbon build up on a valve and gave me injector cleaner to puyt into my car...im almost positive it isnt that because if it was you'd be able to hear it in idle or revving...but you dont...as long as i dont boost it doesnt make the noise.....

so i think there's a leak somewhere and when too much air comes through it leaks from the high pressure can anyone help out in maybe knowing what it could really be??
    Mods: ERZ Up/Down pipe, bosal dual tip cat-back, cobb AP stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check the bolts/gasket between the turbo and downpipe. Its seems that in general, fluttering is post turbo, pre-turbo leaks squeal loudly.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

well its a fluttering noise as the car builds boost but if i punch it then it turns into a really loud squeling noise...like a pig being butchered....i think its the gaskets but is this a sure thing? could it be anything but the gaskets? it wasn't making this noise before i took it to the subaru dealership to fix the egt that fell out...and they said they tightened all the bolts on the down pipe because they were loose...so it might be something they did...???

Quote Originally Posted by evL`WrX
    well its a fluttering noise as the car builds boost but if i punch it then it turns into a really loud squeling noise...like a pig being butchered....i think its the gaskets but is this a sure thing? could it be anything but the gaskets? it wasn't making this noise before i took it to the subaru dealership to fix the egt that fell out...and they said they tightened all the bolts on the down pipe because they were loose...so it might be something they did...???
    sounds like a UP leak, give it a few miles and you'll be able to tell because you'll be able to see carbon deposits building up where the leak is.

but could the leak be anywhere else but the gaskets? because im thinking ill just buy new gaskets and change them now... or could there be another area where the leak could be coming from besides the gasket?

but could the leak be anywhere else but the gaskets? because im thinking ill just buy new gaskets and change them now... or could there be another area where the leak could be coming from besides the gasket?
    take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. Don't waste your money on new gaskets, or your time trying to fix it. Hell it could be as simple as they didn't tighten down the clamp on the throttle body. . but it could be anything from the uppipe gasket to any one of the connections on the TMIC.

Any pre-turbo leak will sound like that. Mine was the manifold.

but new gaskets would fix this right? i don't want to expect to spend a few bucks on gaskets then end up having to buy a new upipe or exhaust manifold

new gaskets are going to be a ton of work and I wouldn't waste my time purchasing them until you know 100% what/where its coming from. Replacing the gaskets on the uppipe is not going to be a small chore and you could expect it to take you a few hours.

the thing is that i work 8-5 everyday and they close the parts department at 5 so i don't think that i would actually have time to go, plus right when i was leaving the dealership and heard the noise i went straight back and he took it for a test drive to hear the noise, took it back to the place where they fix the cars and he sat there about 30 min with that metal stick attached to ear phone things, kinda looks like a doctors, trying to listen to different parts of the exhaust he check post turbo and preturbo spots "listening" for where the leak might be coming out of, i really don't know how that works but he was doing it and after all that time he told me it was from carbon build up on the valves due to the hole from the EGT sensor.

i really doubt its that because like i said it were the valves i'd be hearing that noise as soon as i start the car but the noise doesn't actually happen until i hit boost. so im afraid to take it back to those guys because they have been to tell after 30 minutes of listening... so i came here to see if there is anything that i could actually look at myself...

but new gaskets would fix this right? i don't want to expect to spend a few bucks on gaskets then end up having to buy a new upipe or exhaust manifold
    It's not that much work. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out my manifold was the problem, run to the hardware store to buy a bolt to replace the one that had worked itself off and put it on. Uppipe would take maybe an hour. And just reseating it and torqueing it down again might be enough, without buying new gaskets. And you certainly shouldn't need a new uppipe or manifold. It's a joint, not a crack or anything.

thanks thats what i meant...i have no problem unbolting it and changing the gasket or just unbolting it and bolting it back i was just hoping that theres not a possiblitly of a crack or something on the actual pipes does it matter if i wait a week because i am busy all week long :X but i do drive 50 miles a day to and from work would this bring any problems down the road if i stay with the leak?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.