morning clutch shudder...a solution
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on morning clutch shudder...a solution within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have no mods.... Took my car in for the shudder, dealer replicated, called subaru, opened a tech case, was ...

car

morning clutch shudder...a solution

I have no mods....

Took my car in for the shudder, dealer replicated, called subaru, opened a tech case, was told there is no known fix, returned car with shudder.

Called subaru, and told them about my experience, was told that there is no fix AND that it is normal operating procedure. I replied that the car did not come with shudder, starting happening 3-4 months into mu ownership and had it been normal, why was that fact not disclsoed to me verablly by the delared and why is it not in the manual? Got nothing from them.

Hung -up and retained a lawyer who took the case with absolutely no cost to me. Says it is a slam friggin dunk. Do not accept this from subaru. We did not buy these cars with problems, they should have none. I am fed up, all I want is a car that workfs as it should, flawlessly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tell us how you do!
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a bit surprised they told you this. There is a fix. It involves a clutch with lighter springs so it doesn't grab quite as hard. Isn't grabby when cold, but ultimately won't hold as much power and might not last as long.

Or you can just fix it yourself by slipping it a bit more when its cold. The non-fixed clutch is better 'cause it's stronger. It's just so grippy that it has a tendancy to grab when cold. It doesn't do it when new because the clutch hasn't been bedded in yet, so it slips easier.

I'm always amazed by people's reactions to these kinds of things. It embarasses be when I have trouble driving a car correctly - letting the clutch grab, stalling, grinding gears, etc. Its almost always a technique thing, so I adjust my technique to do it right instead of running for a lawyer. Heck, I'd be mortified to stand up in court and say "I want money 'cause I can't get the clutch to engage smoothly and won't make the effort to try to do so".
    Last edited by GV27; 09-05-2002 at 08:50 PM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

car
    Listen up moderator, I know how to drive a car and I know how to get around the shudder by revving more, I am not some stupid idiot as you suggest. i DO NOT NEED A LECTURE ON MY ETHICS FROM ANYBODY, EXPECIALLY YOU.

This is a problem with the car, it should not shudder, AT ALL. I love the WRX, but I am not blinded by this love. The car does not work as it is supposed to. This is why the repair order stated, problem duplicated, unfixable.

My decision to get a nrand new car without any problems vis-a-vis the legal system is the logical next step to rectify a probelm that Subaru recognizes but refuses to rectify.

The option of doing nothing is quite laughable.

i think gv27 is right there is a fix for the clutch shudder, just like he said it makes the clutch a little weaker in gripping. Personally i would rather deal with a few clutch shudders in exchange for the stronger clutch engagement. But that is just me.

you sound bent on legal action, but you could also try another dealership, as i have heard of other people getting this problem fixed. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

car
    Thanks, had I been told there was a fix, I would have requested it. However, since I was told that there is not by Subaru and not some person on this site who does not work for them, we are going for a brand new car using the lemon law. Refund of all payments made to date, tax, license, and then subaru pays off remainder of car.

None of us should accept anything less.

Would you all have purcahsed the car if you were info rmeded that it would have violent shudder every AM and that this would start after about 3000 miles into your ownership?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by car
    Would you all have purcahsed the car if you were info rmeded that it would have violent shudder every AM and that this would start after about 3000 miles into your ownership?
    I also have this morning shudder problem. I just let the clutch slip a little more with a little more revs. It is kind of annoying. I assume this is how all AWD manual transmission cars are?

My trouble finding reverse in this awful transmission has been around since DAY 1. Put it this way. My girlfriends '91 Civic shifts better. But you have to expect this in a FIRST YEAR MODEL of a car. By the 2nd or 3rd year model, these problems should be fixed.

I probably wouldn't have purchased this car if I knew of these problems, but then I would be rolling out in a boring IS300.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

car
    Kar Daddy, you wrote, "I assume this is how all AWD manual transmission cars are?"

Nope, not even close. This is not normal by any stretch of the imagination.

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    My trouble finding reverse in this awful transmission has been around since DAY 1. Put it this way. My girlfriends '91 Civic shifts better. But you have to expect this in a FIRST YEAR MODEL of a car. By the 2nd or 3rd year model, these problems should be fixed.
    I had a 1995 Impreza from 1995 to 2001, and as long as I can remember, I have also had issues finding reverse on occasions. Since the last time I drove manuals before my 95 Impreza was so long ago, I don't know if this is the case for all MTs. In any case, I didn't think of this issue as unusual in my 2002 Impreza, since I experienced the same thing on the 1995. I don't know the details on transmission design, but someone posted an explanation and solution once (had something to do with a part sticking, and recommended shifting to 1, 2, then all the way to reverse), the solution worked for me so far.

My 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD did not suffer from any clutch shudder AT ALL (AM or PM).

That transmission was in production 13 model years ago!!!

However, it did balk at shifting into first and reverse occasionally. Not nearly as bad as my '02 WRX, but it didn't always slide in like butter...

Redline synthetic lube solved the lion's share of that problem as well.

Aloha,
    Richard...

P.S. I sold my boring IS300 to get the more-exciting (read: quirky? :-) WRX and haven't looked back at all! In fact, the only time I miss that car is when a girl says "Oh... Didn't you drive a Lexus before? This car is... kinda cute. :-)" Heheheh.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by satrya

but someone posted an explanation and solution once (had something to do with a part sticking, and recommended shifting to 1, 2, then all the way to reverse), the solution worked for me so far.
    Yeah I know about this solution. Or just double clutching it. But when you throw down $25K on a car, you would think EVERYTHING should work like its SUPPOSED to. I am really thinking about putting some synthetic in the tranny and trying that. A lot of people say this works very well. I will just wait until after 10K miles. I want to make sure the tranny is COMPLETELY broken in by then.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Car has been less than polite and nobody has a comment?

misterx

i dont think he's being impolite. he just expressing his feelings and opinions. there should be no bother. i'm glad he has some balls to speak up and take it to court. you should consider him the voice of many that are experiencing the same problem but are afraid, don't have time, or just don't bother taking it that far.

i have been to the dealer twice regarding tranny problems. the first time was for the annoying grinding sound when the car is in gear and decelarating. secondly it was for the shudder. the dealer said the same thing about it being normal vehicle operation. imo, it's BS!

anyways, best of luck to CAR and i hope that subaru wakes up and recalls the clutch for an exchange of a dual-friction.
    Jorge F.
    Auto Concept Elite

I disagree.

misterx

Originally posted by car
    Listen up moderator, I know how to drive a car and I know how to get around the shudder by revving more, I am not some stupid idiot as you suggest. i DO NOT NEED A LECTURE ON MY ETHICS FROM ANYBODY, EXPECIALLY YOU.
    I think you're taking your aggression out on your friends here! We're all in the same boat. We can be a bit more constructive - whatcha think?

Aloha,
    Richard...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.