morning clutch shudder...a solution - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on morning clutch shudder...a solution within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm going to take mine to the dealer in the next few weeks for this TSB (finally!) From the TSB, ...

Required or optional fix by the dealer?

I'm going to take mine to the dealer in the next few weeks for this TSB (finally!) From the TSB, here's how it's worded:

"In the event you encounter a customer concern of cold clutch judder that goes away after the first few applications, replacement of the clutch parts listed below will be necessary to repair the vehicle. Prior to replacing these parts, you should confirm the engine and transmission mounting is not broken, loose, or mis-aligned."

NO WHERE does it state that reproducing the problem is required. This has been a big problem getting this resolved.

Does this finally mean that Subaru will fix this problem w/o reproducing the problem? If you're like me, it mysteriously goes away the moment the rubber touches dealer pavement.
    2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 V6 w/TRD
    2006 Honda Pilot EX with Leather/Nav
    2002 Acura TL-S (for sale)

2002 Blue WRX, gone but not forgotten
    2005 WRX STi to be...?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have mods...

If you have MODS will they fix it. My service rep said NO because I have an aftermarket exhaust . I think it's crap but I could be wrong. Someone let me know please.

Subaru replaced my clutch at about 20k miles because of the shudder. I'm sure that if someone with at least half a brain went into the dealerhship and plead their case like an adult, they'd be covered.

From his posts, I'm not surprised they refused to help our little friend "car". What a d1ck.

Well I got my car back on Fri for the TSB clutch fix I went in modded and he knew it... noone cared... car was fixed in a day and I was rollin again.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

I took my car to the dealer and they replicated it...told me to come back when convenient after they get the parts and they would give me a loaner car for the day! I think i finally found a nice dealer. The service manager also said that getting an exhaust wouldn't effect my warranty but they wouldnt cover tripped CELs if its due to the exhaust...seems reasonable!

went to my dealer re: the clutch tsb...they never heard of it , said nobody's been complaining about the problem, and that some people read something about it on the internet.....i gave them the tsb # (thank you clubwrx) and they checked it and told me to bring the car in to see if they can reproduce it.....that may be a problem as it occurs some days and not others....anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the useful information!!!! bluedream

Bluedream,

Glad that worked for ya! Now THAT'S what a car forum like this is all about!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Ok, does anyone have a website that you can check this TSB out. I went to www.subaruofamerica.com and they actually make you pay to get a look at the TSB...that's a bunch of BS! I do have the AM shudder, but would like to look at the TSB before I take it to the dealer. There aren't many Subaru dealers here in North Georgia and they all suck!

Thanks

Someone posted a picture of it once but unfortunately I don't remember which forum that was in... you may need to search around for a while to find it... it basically says that if a customer complains of the morning clutch "judder" (that is what they call it) to replace the following parts: and then lists the clutch assembly stuff and the flywheel.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Car... there is a well documented fix to this problem. We all know this and every dealership that has sold a WRX knows it. I had it too, they replaced the clutch free of charge, problem fixed. If you display a little mechanical sympathy for this tranny it will reward you. A number of people seem to be having trouble, rounding teeth, shredding syncros and then wondering why they can't find first gear anymore while in motion. After 30k on the odometer I have no problems shifting from 2nd into 1st, even when I'm hard on the gas. Reverse is no problem either, but one can't simply slam gears home. Fortunately, the tranny sends a lot of information back through the shifter. Feel what's going on, use a little finesse, and use the gas to match revs. Peace

Tranny shifts

!Spacemanspif - Some of us are just not as lucky as you to be able to shift easily at speed from 2nd down to first even rev matching. In my experience the problem is usually clutch first, tranny design second, and trans fluid as a minor contributor. I am also one of the lucky ones that have not experienced any gear grinding while upshipping.

Since I seem to have the mother of all early morning and most other times "judder", I will be taking advantage of the TSB to get it fixed. By the way, there are few of us who have for the most part babied their trannies and still have shifting problems.

I have not even once launched the car hard, so the abuse argument is not valid here and I have 18K miles on my REX. These problems are a small price to pay for a care that when pushed to the limit , performs admirably.

Natoforces...sorry to hear you've got clutch issues too. I can relate... Oddly enough, my original clutch seemed to benefit, temporarily at least, from a few good hard launches, slipping the clutch with some revs The new clutch works much better, however, so I hope that all works out for you. A lot of folks mention that they've had to fight for the fix, so clearly it's important to stick to your guns. Good luck.

Re: TSB a bunch of BS?

Originally posted by JTREX
    Just called my dealer, says no such thing. What's the dealeo?

sue, sue, sue for mis info

just kidden, glad everything was worked out.
    autobots transform

In b/w the olsens... Nork, NuJersE (Newark, NJ)
    I'm glad I have a remedey to the horrible transmission. I look like a HUGE DI*K when I try to go in reverse with clients in the car and I bog the entire way down a driveway or something. Everyone loks at me with that "hmmm, rookie" look. You know the look from all in your neighborhood when you drive away in the morning and catching first is noted by the wild shaking of the passenger seat headrest.

I'm getting a new clutch for free. If in Northern NJ, call Jesus in the Hillside Automall Service Department. He hooked me up!

- LUX
    2002 Black WRX
    stock throughout-
    because my warranty says so.

- NJ isn't just a state, it's a state of mind.
    - Being from JersE makes us different from other people, it makes us better than YOU... [*HURHM* sound]

GOD BLESS AMERICA

read this whole thread...wow is all i have to say. that was some nabisco action. i'm not taking either side fyi.

Originally posted by Luxcar101

I'm getting a new clutch for free. If in Northern NJ, call JESUS in the Hillside Automall Service Department. He hooked me up!

- LUX
    that Jesus...always helping out any way he can...

he's probably looking down on us right now from heaven wondering how he can get the dealers to start covering some of the other comon problems
    lambosv21

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.