morning clutch shudder...a solution - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on morning clutch shudder...a solution within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by is2scooby Viva la Jurisdoctors! (Sorry Bedabi ) LOL! Did I mention how I HATE LAWYERS!!!...

Originally posted by is2scooby
    Viva la Jurisdoctors! (Sorry Bedabi )
    LOL!

Did I mention how I HATE LAWYERS!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hey GV27 modertaor guy

You once posted:
    'm a bit surprised they told you this. There is a fix. It involves a clutch with lighter springs so it doesn't grab quite as
    hard. Isn't grabby when cold, but ultimately won't hold as much power and might not last as long.

Or you can just fix it yourself by slipping it a bit more when its cold. The non-fixed clutch is better 'cause it's stronger.
    It's just so grippy that it has a tendancy to grab when cold. It doesn't do it when new because the clutch hasn't been
    bedded in yet, so it slips easier.

I'm always amazed by people's reactions to these kinds of things. It embarasses be when I have trouble driving a car
    correctly - letting the clutch grab, stalling, grinding gears, etc. Its almost always a technique thing, so I adjust my
    technique to do it right instead of running for a lawyer. Heck, I'd be mortified to stand up in court and say "I want money
    'cause I can't get the clutch to engage smoothly and won't make the effort to try to do so".

What do you say now that Subaru has issues a TSB for the problem? Perhaps they did so because so many of us chose to sue for our rights as consumers.

Dork.

TSB number is 03-51-02 per SoA:

according to this they are to replace the flywheel if you have less than 30K miles but after that they do not because your current flywheel is the same as the one they would replace it with... this is per my dealer reading me the TSB today? Does this make any sence to anyone? (sorry to put this in 2 dif places)
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

I Support ClubWRX
    I say "nah nah nah nah nah I told you so, I told you so nah nah nah nah nah". Like I said, there's a fix. Has been for quite awhile.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Hate to rain on that rant GV27 but actually it was released Jan 17th of 2003 by Subaru so it hasn't been out too long yet... while some shops were aware there was a problem before subaru admited it and may have fixed things then anyway.
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Originally posted by GV27
    I say "nah nah nah nah nah I told you so, I told you so nah nah nah nah nah". Like I said, there's a fix. Has been for quite awhile.
    Typical, even when you are proven to be wrong, you cannot admit it. While the fix was always there, it was not until last month that Subaru admitted that it had to be applied.

Point is, if it was not for others like myself, the rest of the wrx owners out there with the shudder would still be stuck having to deal with dealers and/or Subaru failing to admit there was a problem.

Given all of this, how on earth can you call yourself a moderator? You have been nothing but a wealth of misinformation.

car,

In defense of GV27 many subaru delaers themselves fixed the clutch shudder problem before subaru officially admitted it was an issue... but this was done on a dealer by dealer basis depending on your contact with them and ability to replicate the issue. So for some people the fix had been around for longer (this is not really missinformation) yet for others through other dealers there was nothing. (so in a sense you were both correct about the problem having a solution)

Basically I think both of you acted like children in this argument and I can't believe one of you didn't just conceed for the sake of ending this whole thing...

"Never argue with a fool, one looking on might not know the difference" Murpheys Law.

PS. I am not flaming anyone and have not singled anyone out, but rather am just trying to state a point.
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

point taken, I accept your assessment and plead guilty.

TSB a bunch of BS?

Just called my dealer, says no such thing. What's the dealeo?
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

JTREX,

Call your dealer and tell them to look up the Technical Service Bulletin # 03-51-02.

If they tell you right away it doesn't exist tell them to actually look it up as they are wrong, it was release by SOA apx the 17th of Jan.

When I called my dealer about it he told me he knew of no such thing, then punched it up and low and behold there it was. He then proceeded to order my new parts no questions asked. If your dealer still refuses to look it up or admit it's existance, report them to the better biz beaurea as they are trying to cheat you and then just go to another dealer, all they have to do is punch it up to find the bulletin. They will then replace the parts at SOA's expense.
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Car... thank you for the polite response I'm glad to see everything can be worked out in the end.
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

i feel left out since everyone has an opinion about the clutch shudder!!!!! my guess is that it more of a significant problem for some people than others..what i mean is...i've had this problem on occassion and then it goes away for weeks to months...but when it is bad it is really annoying and on one occasion left me in the middle of a busy intersection...( i've been driving a manual shift car for over 25 years so technique isn't the whole issue) so i think the folk with the biggest complaints may actually have it worse than some others and are justifiably unhappy. If mine were as bad as it has been on occasion all of the time, i would expect soa to fix it. my 2 cents...bluedream

Originally posted by MustGoFast
    JTREX,

Call your dealer and tell them to look up the Technical Service Bulletin # 03-51-02.

If they tell you right away it doesn't exist tell them to actually look it up as they are wrong, it was release by SOA apx the 17th of Jan.

When I called my dealer about it he told me he knew of no such thing, then punched it up and low and behold there it was. He then proceeded to order my new parts no questions asked. If your dealer still refuses to look it up or admit it's existance, report them to the better biz bureau as they are trying to cheat you and then just go to another dealer, all they have to do is punch it up to find the bulletin. They will then replace the parts at SOA's expense.
    Well, it was news to them, the service manager was "embarrassed" that I knew about it B4 him. They had documented my shudder about 2 months ago, today they ordered the parts for the job. I am pretty happy about that, thanks for the help. Time to go out and practice a few launches b4 my new clutch comes in!
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

Glad to here your getting your fix JTREX.... Most dealers don't read the TSB's until someone mentions it to them. So if you were the first one to talk to them about it they would'nt ahve known...

Time to go out and practice a few launches b4 my new clutch comes in
    Mine should be in in a week or two and i had the same thoughts
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Morning Shudder WRX is not alone

The morning shudder problem is not limited to the Impreza WRX. I have a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport and guess what, I have been having the same problem. It started 3 or 4 months after I bought the car. The car shudders as I ease up on the clutch in first or second gear when the car is cold. The Service Dept at Subaru said that they recently received a bulletin about this problem and that as soon as the parts come in they will replace the clutch with an improved one. Luckily it is all covered under the warranty.