morning clutch shudder...a solution - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on morning clutch shudder...a solution within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sorry for dragging this back up, folks. I just joined this board and was going through old threads....

Sorry for dragging this back up, folks. I just joined this board and was going through old threads.
    - Mike W.
    03 WRX Wagon--yellow 5-spd
    late 80s Bianchi--red 12-spd

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I found a fix for the early morning clutch chatter.( a workaround at least)

Normally, when I would get this first thing in the morning when I would pullout by letting the clutch out slowly at about 2500 RPM. If I did this, the clutch would continue to chatter until everything warmed up. I have found that if I rev higher (3500 RPM) and let the clutch out a bit faster when I first pull out in the morning, I don't get the chatter at all. Maybe this is just because I am heating the clutch up faster.
    My 2 cents.
    '02 WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    Godspeed Uppipe
    K&N filter
    Synthetic Oil
    more to come

That has worked for me for quite some time! It's no fluike. Ride on, Brotha - ride on!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

morning clutch shudder resolved

I have not posted becuase the moderatoirs have blocked me from doing so, seems they can flame but once others return it, they retaliate by blocking access, anyway, here's the end of story...

Two weeks after my lawyer sent Subaru the letter stating my car was a lemon and we wanted either a brand new replacemnt car or they refund all of my money and pay remainder of my loan, lo and behold Subaru responds by stating that there is now a fix for my clutch problem. Funny how a letter from a lawyer has the power to get what you want. We responded with another letter which stated that if it had not been for the laweyr, I would not have recieved the offer to get new clutch (which was the original reponse if you recall, "there is no fix because there is no problem') so they too were on the hook for lawyer fees, some 3000.00 dollars worth (which I was not on the hook for, the case was taken for free given its slam dunk nature).
    Another two weeks, lawyer gets paid by subaru, I get a barnd new clutch assembly that works better than the original ever did. Balboa subaru was excellent throughout this entire process, very friendly, understood the car had a problem, replicated it, waited patiently for me to completly resolve the case.

Moral of story, if you want to fix the clutch, have dealership replicate, call subary for fix, if they deny, hire a lawyer, then it will get fixed.

It cost me nothing. That was the deal, if I lost, I pay nothing, If I won, subaru pays. But this was so open and shut, I mean we had the work invoice saying clutch was broken but that Subaru had no known fix for it. It was so simple.

Glad to hear you got your problems with Subaru resolved.

I hate cliffhangers. Merging this thread with the original...

I Support ClubWRX
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by car returns
    I also suspect that this thread is going nowhere
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

your right, this is stupid. all i ever wanted to do was help others get the car they paid for. I guess the tilt on this particular site is to either live with it and continuoulsy complain about it.

I know how to drive, I was taught by a driver/racer when i was young, went to Bob Boundarant, it's not hard. I can fly planes and helicopters too, so I understand the concept of making things work properly.

Your assumptions are incorrect, I was not a pest to Subaru, after the one call to them and getting shut down, lawyer was called. Subaru fixed it because there is a problem, plain and simple. And if they would have owned up to the problem and fixed it to begin with, they would have saved themselves 3 grand. If it would have gone to court, they would have lost, given the work order that said there clutch was broken, they could not fix it.

Originally posted by car returns
    [B

.....I have a brand new clutch, you still have to slip the clutch every time you feel the shudder. Rather than embarrased, I contend you should be jealous. I solved the problem and I no longer have to rectify the issue with technique, as I did for many, many months.

Flame all you want, I have a car that works, you don't. [/B]
    After this post you said that you have an understanding how things work right? Well then Mr. Smarty pants, he who is the better driver and can fly things you had the wrong understanding of how to 'rectify the issue with technique'....slipping the clutch glazes the clutch and WORSENS the shuddering problem. And, as I said last time, it's not adjusting your technique to avoid the shudder, it's all about DRIVING HABITS....so even though your car may not shudder anymore (as the majority of ours don't, with original parts) Your habits haven't changed at all. For me, I became a smoother, better driver who is more in tune with my car instead of being a 'typical POS American' wanting to point the blame elsewhere and seek the services of a lawyer. This society is pathetic at times.

BTW...glad you're finally happy with your car, that's one thing you are correct about, everyone deserves to be satisfied with their purchases, I just don't agree with the methods you pursued in becoming satisfied and how you handled yourself entering this forum community, and it appears that most others feel the same, but that doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong. You did what YOU felt needed to be done, see above.

I Support ClubWRX
    This guy's just always been pissed cause he thought he was cool calling a basketball playing lawyer instead of trying to work it out himself, while everyone else just thought he was an a-hole. So he flys off the handle all the time 'cause the cool kids don't like him. Ignore him and he'll go away.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

When I was a service writer at Lexus we used to get the "I REFUSE TO BELIEVE WHAT YOU'RE TELLING ME IS NORMAL I'M GOING TO SUE YOU!" people occasionally.

Whenever a lawyer got involved, they got what they want. I mean it was SILLY.

We had an wealthy elderly female LS400 owner who hit something while she was driving with her outside mirror (it was obvious) and claimed that the mirror glass just EXPLODED and she could have been killed . We told her it was obvious from the scratches and broken mirror housing that something EXTERNAL caused the damage (implying that she hit something) and she wouldn't take that as an answer.

She had her personal attorney call us - we didn't budge. They then went up the line to the dealership head, the distributor head, Lexus USA (with whom we only had tangential ties - but that's another story) and finally the word came down from the top to just "take care of it". The $400 it was going to cost us to replace this person's mirror because of an accident was cheaper than the negative press, and trouble it was causing the companies involved.

SICK.

DISGUSTING.

WRONG.

But that's how it goes.

Viva la Jurisdoctors! (Sorry Bedabi )

I'm not surprised if one was to take it to "that level" that their "issue" (whether it's a warrantable concern or not) would be taken care of.

What would really tell me that Subaru has a problem and KNOWS it was if Carfan's lawyer managed to get Subaru of America to send all WRX owners letters saying that there is a recall on our clutches due to a shuddering concern that may lead to premature wear/failure and that they will replace all of them for free with units that do not have the defect.

All Carfan's case tells me is that Subaru just wanted to deal with a bad situation from one person's lawyer as quickly as possible with as little fanfare as possible because it would be more trouble than it's worth to take the high road.

Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator

That being said - I'd love to have a new clutch at Subaru's expense - but would that make it right?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator

anything else to say car?

LOL

-evil dR