morning clutch shudder...a solution - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on morning clutch shudder...a solution within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by car we are going for a brand new car using the lemon law. Refund of all payments ...

Originally posted by car
    we are going for a brand new car using the lemon law. Refund of all payments made to date, tax, license, and then subaru pays off remainder of car.

car,

In order to replace your car under the California Lemon Law, you must satisfy several conditions:

1) The vehicle must be used...for personal, family or household purposes.

2) The vehicle must have problems covered by warranty.

3) The warranter must be unable to repair the vehicle's warranty problem after a number of repair attempts. Also revelent to determining whether there has been a reasonable number of repair attempts is the number of days the vehicle has been out of service.

4) The vehicle must have a problem.....that substantially impairs the vehicle's use, value or safety. The lemon law, generally, will not apply to vehicles with trivial or minor defects.

Points 1) and 2), no worries. Points 3) and 4) may present more of a problem. Not trying to light your fuse by saying your problem is trivial - obviously to you it isn't - but this may not be quite so "slam friggen dunk" as your lawyer says it is.

Why not follow SobeWRX's very sensible advice and take it to another dealer first ?
    Old, but not slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nah, I think he should just sue. Your lawyer gets paid on a contingency, right Car? Or is is hourly. Hopefully its hourly - he'll put in more effort that way. Tell him you want him to devote a full 8 hours a day to your case.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Overtime.

misterx

Originally posted by car
    [B
    Would you all have purcahsed the car if you were info rmeded that it would have violent shudder every AM and that this would start after about 3000 miles into your ownership? [/B]

Without hesitation YES
    This is a small price to pay for a car that performs so well and has been so easy to mod. all cars have thier own little quirks, you either need to learn to adapt to them, or get them fixed.
    There is a fix for the clutch shudder(although not worth it in my opinion). call around to other dealers in your area and see what they say about clutch shudder problems.
    Getting the car lemoned will not likely be an easy process, especially for something as trivial(to most people) as morning clutch shudder.

Maybe you could go after them for the squeaky windows if the clutch shudder suit doesn't work out...

car
    Unreal how the devotion to a car can blind so many people. The car does not work. Who knows what problems related to the clutch might appear down the road and after the warranty is void. I am not willing to take the risk that the problem will not worsen over time and lead to other problems. Rather than accepting this "quirk" and accepting the Subaru line, the better alternative is to get a brand new car.

Comparing the problem to the window squeek is completely ridiculous and only illustrates the blind devotion to this car. I expect the things I pay good money for to work flawlessly, especially new. A major component should not do this, ever.

Oh yeah, the lawyer i have is good. Got a 2000 VW Passat returned from my collegue becasue the fuel gauge did not function properly. True.

When I get my new WRX without the shudder, I'll let you all know the lawyers name. Either rthat or you can be content knowing that Subaru sold you a defective car. I know, it's fast, unreal handling, inexpensive bla bla, bla.

car
    Originally posted by GV27

I'm always amazed by people's reactions to these kinds of things. Its almost always a technique thing, so I adjust my technique to do it right instead of running for a lawyer. Heck, I'd be mortified to stand up in court and say "I want money 'cause I can't get the clutch to engage smoothly and won't make the effort to try to do so".
    With respect to my response to the post above, it is obvious that this forum accepts "subtle" put downs rather than my direct approach at calling things as I see them. The implication that I am not doing the right thing by engaging a lawyer to protect my rights as a consumer is an insult. I responded to this insult. I do not cloke my intentions, why pull punches?

So Mr. Moderator, what are you gonna do to get around the shudder when/if it eventually makes the car undrivable? Push it to work? Is that an effort worth making? Would you stand up in court then?

Ever heard of foresight? It appears that you have not.

Are you seriously considereing getting another WRX??? Clutch shudder is a fairly common occurance, window squealing, weak transmission, engine vibration at idle, re92 tires, 1st gear lock out, diffuculty getting into reverse without double clutching....

I find the window squealing much more annoying than the shudder.

car
    good question about new wrx. I want to given that I hope the shudder has been corrected in the 03 model.

Does anyone with the 03 model have problems?

I am torn, but may have to go Porsche. I just hate to through that money though.

i don't want to be an a$$ and sound like i'm telling you what to do, but if i were you i think i would look seriously into a different car. the wrx in my opinion is a "quirky" car. Subaru tried to give people as much performance as they could for <$25,000. in doing that some things (like the transmission) got skimped on.
    if you are the type of person who gets annoyed by small imperfections, then i dont think that thwrx is for U. Just my 0.02. Goodluck with your lemon'ing the wrx, let us know how it goes...

I think the 350Z or rx-8 both should be awesome cars and very reliable, plus respectable performance wise.

car
    no worries sube, your point is well taken.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, older 911s had really tough clutches to master (but really nice once you mastered it). I've heard they've neutered it in the latest versions. So you might like it OK. Haven't driven one newer that '94. Whatever you do, don't get a Ferrari. You will definitely not like the heavy, touchy clutch or the notchy transmission. I guess you could go for the F1 option though.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

car
    Dude, get over it. Do you sleep with your WRX?

Originally posted by car
    Hey... Do you feel better now? What's the deal here? I hope that you simply forgot to put the "smiley" at the end of your question because it's pretty insulting otherwise.

If you are the one that feels "insulted" by the posts on the forum and are trying to respond then you've done a good job. However I don't think that your post has any constructive worth, and is downright rude.

If anything, GV27 is offering you suggestions regarding cars that you may like better than the WRX and it's "blindly devoted" masses.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Originally posted by car
    Thanks, had I been told there was a fix, I would have requested it. However, since I was told that there is not by Subaru and not some person on this site who does not work for them, we are going for a brand new car using the lemon law. Refund of all payments made to date, tax, license, and then subaru pays off remainder of car.

None of us should accept anything less.

Would you all have purcahsed the car if you were info rmeded that it would have violent shudder every AM and that this would start after about 3000 miles into your ownership?
    i had the shudder problem, it was fixed under warranty. run a search for "clutch decel noise." all the info is there, but basically, there was a batch of wrx's that came off the line with tension springs that were too small. it's not dire, or detrimental to the car, but it shudders in the cold, and rattles under deceleration.

ease up on the "listen up moderator" becasue we know our shi+. GV speaks the truth. you're out of line.

dR

Originally posted by car
    that's where i draw the line. you've taken a moderately constructive thread topic, and shi+ all over it. stop being a di<k, and listen up.

your problem is covered under warranty. SOA and SOJ have released a new set of parts to replace your clutch. that's what warranty's are for. stop being a bi+ch. you bought the car, you were unhappy. that leaves you with three solutions.

1) sell the car, and get a new one.
    2) get the thing fixed for nothing.
    3) live with it, it's not a problem that will cause break down. many people have 30K + with the shudder, and report no problems.

whining and being a nuisance will NOT solve your problem on any level.

please don't buy another WRX because no one here want's to help someone with your attitude. this place is here to help people out. you rashly ignored this help, and the good will of the moderators and people here, and decided to stoop to a juvenile level with insults and meaningless comments.

please shape up, or ship out.

and for the record, reverse has no synchro, so it's going to ALWAYS be tough to line up. first gear is tight b/c suby wanted to minimize the torque wear from the AWD train on the gear. they want you to use it to get going, but as long as you're rolling, use 2nd. and finally, hondas don't use real standard trannys, they use wanna-be cable driven systems that lack the real feel of a standard sports car. (i'm a honda/acura fan btw)

dR
    Last edited by dark_rex; 09-10-2002 at 08:22 AM.