Fuel lines leaking

This is a discussion on Fuel lines leaking within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Dealer said my 02 Rex has leaking fuel rails and all needs to be replaced for over 0. I've got ...

Fuel lines leaking

Dealer said my 02 Rex has leaking fuel rails and all needs to be replaced for over $700. I've got 72,000 miles but gee it seems a bit uncool for this to happen. You can smell the gas inside the car when heater turned on. Parts are out of stock, so maybe this is a popular problem. Anyone heard of such things on Impreza? I put fuel system cleaner in a couple times a year, but....

I feel so guilty, where did I go wrong?

Commuterrex

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a known issue with fuel odour associated with cold weather. The part that leaks is a small fuel hose at a spot that's difficult to reach. Typically the clamp is loose or fails. The field fix is to use a long screwdriver to tighten the clamp after rotating it so the screw is accessible from above, to the right of the radiator cap and metal reservoir above the turbo. If and only if this is your problem it's simple to fix for labour cost only - someone with tools and a lift will have an easier time and need a new clamp, that's all. If not, the problem could be more complex -- though it still might not be as dramatic as the dealer would have you think.

I'd get a second opinion. Be careful to tell anyone poking around that the hood is aluminium and can bend easily, so they don't push it shut (they need to drop it shut).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ClubWRX.net Supporting Manufacturer

If you have to replace them..

then upgrade them for a lot less money! Our rails are only $359.99 and can be installed in the same time (or less) than the originals. This insures proper fuel delivery to all 4 cylinders, prevents lean burning from fuel starvation, look great and prevent this type of problem. For more information contact us:

www.perrinperformance.com
    tech@perrinperformance.com
    sales@perrinperformance.com
    503-643-4677

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by PERRIN_SALES
    then upgrade them for a lot less money! Our rails are only $359.99 and can be installed in the same time (or less) than the originals. This insures proper fuel delivery to all 4 cylinders, prevents lean burning from fuel starvation, look great and prevent this type of problem. For more information contact us:

www.perrinperformance.com
    tech@perrinperformance.com
    sales@perrinperformance.com
    503-643-4677

Thanks guys!
    Perrin fuel rails are on my wish list for next year. Along with some Whiteline coilovers!!!
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~
    Name of wagon: GO GO Yubari

Yeah....there was/is a TSB out there somewhere but I think Subaru is hesitant to fix for free. It's not complicated IIRC...$700 is highway robbery!!
    It's just replacing the fuel line and clamps I think...it's just a b!tch to get too

Don't know where the TSB is...too lazy to search...somewhere on the NASIOC forums...
    Need Boost.....Gotta get Boost....Must have BOOST!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    IIRC it is pretty complicated. IIRC, they have to remove the intake to get at it. In order to remove the intake they have to pull the whole intake manifold! Not that that's an excuse....
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

oops...

you're right GV27...very time consuming...

I meant the actual fuel line job itself...geting to it is a PITA!!!!!
    Need Boost.....Gotta get Boost....Must have BOOST!!!!

I just fixed mine a few weeks ago. It is definetely a PITA!! Do a search for "fuel smell in cabin" and you'll find the TSB about it. It requires removing the entire intake manifold. The hard part is that there is two bolts holding the center fuel rail and two holding engine wire harness that are on the underside of the intake and are very hard to get too. You will be replacing the center fuel rail and one of the rubber lines on the passenger side. What was funny was that mine was leaking pretty bad but the clamp was as tight as could be. Since I did this I haven't had any fuel leaks at all.
    02 WRX SRP
    85 Mustang GT Convertable

Mods: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1030367&postcount=236

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, initially they just tightened that clamp down on my car. That worked for awhile, but it came back and they had to do the whole job.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

My dealer did it free last year. (Burlington Subaru, Vermont.)
    02 WRX Sedan, Silver ("Bugeye")
    TXS Up-pipe, Turbo-back w/cat, Cobb AccessECU Stage 2.
    97 Legacy Outback, White
    Stock. Very stock.

Red face Fuel smell in cabin in cold temperatures

I am so glad to read the postings regarding the fuel smell in the cabin of my 2002 WRX! I call the dealer and claim they have never heard of this. I took my car to an independent mechanic twice last week and we could not recreate the problem. I went up Norht this past weekend where it was allot colder and it happened again. I am going to bring it back to the mechanic. I wonder how common this problem is and if Subrau Co, knows this is happening - I have 47K on my car - and very well taken care of - seems like this could be a warrenty issue............................................. . How many other people have had this problem?

cpbsmile@earthlink.net