How long did your stock battery last?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How long did your stock battery last? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got an '03 WRX that I bought almost exactly a year ago brand new. Last winter, I had no ...

How long did your stock battery last?

I've got an '03 WRX that I bought almost exactly a year ago brand new. Last winter, I had no problem at all starting the car, but this year, on really cold mornings, the car sounds like it's really struggling to start. I've still got the original battery.

Is this normal? How long have your factory batterys lasted?
    -Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you make really short trips with the car all the time, you will probably be lucky to get 2-3 years out of it. If you make long trips, it will probably last 5 or so. Naturally the battery life will be shortened if it was ever run dead.
    Last edited by Trainrex; 12-21-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Gotcha... I've never run it completely down, but I do mainly make short trips. I usually only drive it about 7 miles a day to work and 7 miles home (~30 minutes there and ~30 minutes back - stupid traffic ). I hardly ever drive much further than that though.

Maybe I'll just wait until it dies and call in sick to work that day.

Thanks!
    -Lee

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer

Maybe I'll just wait until it dies and call in sick to work that day.
    Thats the spirit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer
    I've got an '03 WRX that I bought almost exactly a year ago brand new. Last winter, I had no problem at all starting the car, but this year, on really cold mornings, the car sounds like it's really struggling to start. I've still got the original battery.

Is this normal? How long have your factory batterys lasted?
    My 03 is 1 year and 9 months and I am experiencing the same thing. These cold single digit temps (it was 5 or 6 F yesterday am) in the am are making it struggle to start. It's probably not much of a battery since it's only a 2.0L

Optima here I come!

46k...just changed alternators but battery is still doing fine

Fixxer,

Mine's doing it to in low temps, The car is two years old today...

Oh well

SHotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

My car has had problems starting recently. I had to get my co-workers to jump start my car 2 different times already in a week. What is the warranty on the battery, alternator, & starter? Will the dealer replace any of these under warranty?

Even brand new batteries will struggle in cold weather. My 03's battery is fine and the coldest its gotten around my parts is high 30's... so its not an issue. Subaru actually offers battery heaters and an engine block heater for those of you in the snow. However, a beefy Optima Red/ Yellow Top battery should be able to give you enough umph in cold conditions. But keep in mind as the temperature drops the cranking amps do the same. Your battery is probably perfectly good in normal temps.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

I Support ClubWRX
    A few weeks ago my nine month old WRX started OK, but more slowly in single digit temps during a cold snap we had. Every car I have ever had did the same. I use synthetic oil; it flows more freely in very cold temps. The starter can then turn the engine with less resistance.

My '02 battery made it 2.5 winters. Even made it through a week in Minnesota. But died this winter when temps got below 20 degrees. I replaced it but even the new battery doesn't turn it over very quickly in cold temps.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

My 04 is 8 months old, and sounded a bit weak this morning. Of course it was -7 degrees out.

I have 63k on mine and it runs fine even with 2 10in subs and a hug amp drawing all they can from it. I am pretty surprised actually I thought it would die long ago.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

My original battery died in under 2 years, the replacement is beginning to worry me so I just picked up an optima battery. I'm going to put more drain on it now any way with the new audio equipment (though not that much) so I'll save myself the nasty surprise of having it fall dead on me while I'm out at lunch.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

My ' 02 wrx has 110,000 miles on it, has gone through three -35C winters and is still going strong. Origional battery, origional motor, origional trany, .. on 5th set of tires.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.