question on fuel economy
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on question on fuel economy within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i hope this is the right place, mods move this if it is not thanks. i have an 02 wrx ...

question on fuel economy

i hope this is the right place, mods move this if it is not thanks. i have an 02 wrx wagon, 4eat, running cobb stage 2, with gt spec exhaust manifold and up-pipe, hacked air box, K and N air filter, grounding mod, perrin pulley, a/c belt removed, and some other crap. ever since i started to mod the car i have been getting a consistant 200 miles to a tank, thats right 12.5 miles to the gallon (SUV milage there wooooo), i am wondering what is wrong, i went to subaru they replaced my fuel rails stating that that was the problem, still have the same problem and subaru has no clue. i was wondering if anyone here had any ideas or things i may try to fix this problem. any help is appriciated
    alf

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How is the car running? Any decrease in performance? 200 miles to the tank is pretty low...I get around 260 or so.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

car is runing awesome. i have no problems with performance, but the thing is i know when i run constant boost im going to get low mileage, but when i babying it, shifting at 2500-3000 rpm and still getting 200 to a tank there is a problem, anyone with ideas
    alf

Check your tire pressure.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Do you have a boost guage? Are you pushing boost while cruising somehow?

tire pressure is right, and no boost when there isn't supposed to be, checked it with the AP this friggen sucks
    alf

I have the same problem as you. I have a 4eat with Cobb accessport stage 2, Hks uppipe/downpipes, grounding kit, protorque converter, and I only get like 220 miles on a full tank. I am going to check my tire pressure and maybe replace spark plugs (should I get one step colder?).

im at about 30k and i wouldn't think it to be necessary to change the plugs already, i was told that they are good to at least 60k, unless im wrong which if i am, time to rip out the plugs. anyone have any insight on this. im glad, well not glad, that im not the only one with this problem
    alf

1x2
    izhazissuez,

Have you checked for intake air leaks? If none, then, another possibility:

If a grounding kit is like a lower front spoiler, bigger rear wing, body cladding, etc. I'd look at that, then live with it. Decreasing the air pressure under the body to get the body to sit lower on the suspension and realize extra stick on the road takes a tremendous amount of energy; that's coming from increased drag coefficient, using the above mentioned method of generating it. Rear wings, especially, are practically worthless at less than ~130mph. It's not that they don't "work", it's that the value of the downward push on the tail of the car isn't much help at speeds lower than that. And yet, it creates drag all day long, at every speed. Solid, unadjustable wings work within a narrow speed band, the rest of the time, they just create drag and lower gas mileage. I'd never put a wing on my car, and I've driven several different makes at sustained speeds of ~ 110mph with excellent road grip.

If it's not, this was a waste of time....

1x2
    Last edited by 1x2; 12-24-2004 at 02:40 PM.

huh? i don't get it, i have been hit in the head a lot being a firefighter so maybe im a little slow, but im not getting the grounding kit causing piss poor gas mileage. the air intake has no leaks what so ever, subaru checked it and said that it was flowing properally. try and explain this to me a little better, but even so wouldn't other people with grounding kits notice the same issues with fuel economy? maybe i missed your point entirely which is possible.
    alf

1x2
    uh, sorry, when my eyes saw grounding my brain read "ground effects".

phew!, i was going to be very concerned if it was my grounding wires. guess i just gotta deal with piss poor mileage
    alf

1x2
    No, you shouldn't. I'm not a Cobb turbo king, but something's causing your engine to run really rich... otherwise, where' s the gas "going"? Have you called them?

LOL, ya, pull all the extra wires out of your car, that way it'll weigh less and you'll get better mileage- I'm even sorrier that you had to spend any time "wondering" what the he** I was talking about.

1x2

thats the thing, is i had piss poor mileage from the get go. so i don't get what the heck is happening. i got the accessport thinking it would help it, but it hasn't. maybe the intercooler hoses are loose or something, i gotta look again. friggen car! thanks for the response, something is better than nothing i suppose
    alf

someone said in a thread in engine performance that his mpg doubled when he got rid of his leaky tmic

23 mpg on a cobb 2.5 vf34 map for me
    271whp/240wtq
    MODS
    mauromotorsports

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.