Subaru WRX Forum banner

Starter Problem

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SilvaRex 
#1 ·
Ok heres my deal ... Ive been gone for a while and my car has just been sitting in my garage ... I get home, ready to start my car up and nothing. I figured it was just the battery, so I charged that sucker ... Today, I get into my car, battery working, because all of the electrical stuff works, however, when I try and turn the car over, it doesnt. All I hear is clicking sounds over and over again. Does anyone know what this sound means??? And what can I do to fix it ....

thanks alot ... James

#2 · (Edited)
It is not correct to assume that the battery is OK merely because the other electricals seem to function with the car off. Starting the car requires a substantial amount of current, and the battery may not be able to provide it.

From what you have said so far, your battery is not charged. See this thread for more info on how to look into it:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89389

If it were the starter, you'd likely hear a whirring noise implying the output gear is just spinning without engaging the flywheel or something. In that case, a good smart whack with a spanner will do one or more of three things:
fix the starter
dent the starter
nothing

In any case, I don't think it's the starter from the info provided. Have a look at the other thread above IMO.

PS Mod, sorry I didn't notice we're in the wrong forum. Maybe move a bit later after my initial response is seen?

#4 ·
No problem.

You may as well just have it tested to make sure, it's still an expense after all to buy a battery. Testing should be free if you look around. Be careful under the hood.

Good luck.

SD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.