got my oil analysis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on got my oil analysis within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; just got my results back from Blackstone Labs . i ran a bit long on the oil change because i ...

got my oil analysis

just got my results back from Blackstone Labs.

i ran a bit long on the oil change because i had a few trips that put me over my usual 7500 mark. the suggessted to run up to 9000 miles before the next change. oil used was Mobil1 5w-30

Here is an explination of the report
    Last edited by Quack; 12-09-2005 at 01:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That's good data. I posted an analysis for only ~6K miles on the M1 5W-40 and my TBN was lower than yours!

All this does is make me feel even worse than I already do for changing my oil between 5K and 7.5K to keep up with the warranty requirement - I keep as much "used" oil as I can around for my lawnmower but still, I end up recycling perfectly good Mobil1!

Are you on the stock air and oil filters (I assume air filter is stock from the low numbers you've posted)? How much oil do you add per interval - is the number really none at all like the report says? I use around 300 ml or less nowadays per 5K-6K or so.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    That's good data. I posted an analysis for only ~6K miles on the M1 5W-40 and my TBN was lower than yours!

All this does is make me feel even worse than I already do for changing my oil between 5K and 7.5K to keep up with the warranty requirement - I keep as much "used" oil as I can around for my lawnmower but still, I end up recycling perfectly good Mobil1!

Are you on the stock air and oil filters (I assume air filter is stock from the low numbers you've posted)? How much oil do you add per interval - is the number really none at all like the report says? I use around 300 ml or less nowadays per 5K-6K or so.

1st off i drive probably 97% on hwy for work. i didn't add any oil this fill, but it was a little low. i am using PureONE oil filters (the smaller one that is listed for the STi). the air filter is a actually a Fram Airhog that i replaced at about 15k miles and it hasn't been cleaned since new.

FWIW, i'm running a VF30

I Support ClubWRX
    The VF30 makes this all the more impressive then!

You know, I'm really quite pleased with the wear numbers these EJ20s put out given even the most basic care. I think these are really well designed motors (plus, nowadays oils are very good across the board practically). I've seen some reports of elevated oil temps, but the most problematic was from a road racer, not a daily driver car. My gut feeling is that a properly maintained EJ20 with correct fueling, cooling and filtration ought to run well beyond the point that the car falls apart all around the motor...

I moved to the 5W-40 Mobil "SUV" (Delvac1) formula since I was using a bit of the 10W-30, and my use is now quite low (less than 500 ml over thousands of miles is IMO negligible and doesn't even require topping off as you've seen too).
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

going to do another analysis with the 5w-30 and probably try the 5w-40. i was going to do it on this change, but didn't have it an my local shop, and i stopped by another place (5 miles down the road) and they had 5w-40.

SD_GR: so are you saying you had more oil consupmtion with the 10w30 than the 5w40?
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I think you'll use less of the 5W-40, and that the -40 will be a bit more robust if for some reason you decide to keep the throttle floored more than usual. Stores in my area stock and sell the stuff a lot now, so it'll be easier to find soon enough (so many spendy SUVs around).

I didn't see any decrease in gas mileage or any decrease in throttle response with the -40 vs. the -30 M1, and my guess is you won't notice a difference either since you're making much more power than me anyway. Now, I don't monitor oil pressure or temp so I can't tell you what changes you might see on those though.

Interesting...

They stock the 5w40 around here as well. Maybe I'll try it out on my next oil change. I only have about 2500 miles on this set of oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AjIsDope
    SD_GR: so are you saying you had more oil consupmtion with the 10w30 than the 5w40?
    Yes. My oil consumption, from most to least, was/is:

Most: straight 10W-30 M1 or dealer dino juice 5W-30 (up to 600 ml per 3k-3750).
    Less: M1 10W-30 with up to a bottle of 15W-50 M1 added in to boost it.
    Least: M1 5W-40. First interval, 300 ml per 5K+; next interval I went longer and had to add no oil so the use was less than 200 or 300 ml. I don't expect to add any during this interval either.

Still, Quack with his VF30 has shown that 5W-30 is fine for our motors as well, and basically we've seen from a number of posts that any ol' M1 ought to do fine if it meets your outdoor temperature range. Impressive motor and impressive oil too. I don't think you can go too wrong if you roughly follow the viscosity ranges in the manual for your area.

on the oil that i took a sample of is from when i had the Magnum (~120mph), T/A (~120mph) and Stealth kills. i also had a +140 run on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack
    1st off i drive probably 97% on hwy for work.
    good results but everyone should take carefull note of the amount of highway driving. it makes a BIG difference as compared to city driving; also don't forget that harsh winters will shorten the oil's life too.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

also my hwy trips are usually +125 miles (and probably close to 300 miles on the high end) one way

now that i think of it, i actually had taken it to the drag strip on this oil change as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla
    also don't forget that harsh winters will shorten the oil's life too.
    Extremes in temperature in general would shorten oils life I would think... Especially our summer extremes here in phx.... Parking lot surface tgemperatures can get as high as 140 degrees here in teh summer... probably higher
    2004 WRB Wagon R.I.P. (Officially a lemon)

SAVE DARFUR! http://www.savedarfur.org/content
    NEVER let fear hold you back from something beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast