Engine bay undertray removal & good svce manual?

This is a discussion on Engine bay undertray removal & good svce manual? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I'm trying to install an engine block heater in my 03 wrx but can't get to the freeze plug ...

1x2

Engine bay undertray removal & good svce manual?

Hi,

I'm trying to install an engine block heater in my 03 wrx but can't get to the freeze plug until I remove the "underguard" (Subie block heater instructions term). It's the semi-floppy plastic engine undertray. It's held to the underside of the engine bay by 2- 10 or 12mm (I forget which) bolts and about 6 pop-in plastic plug-type pieces. I busted the #)$^@*@_$ out of one of the plugs but still couldn't get it out, so thought I'd better get some good advice before I take a chain-saw to the front-end. I'd have to rent the chain-saw, but there's an outside chance I'd feel better when I was done. The downside- still wouldn't have the block heater installed, future coefficient of drag problems, etc.

I did a search and someone posted "you have to remove the undertray first, it's easy..." but it isn't so easy for me. Can someone help with the trick to removing these? You can't get at them from the "other side".

Also, I thought I was good to go when I first bought the car and bought Subaru Service Manuals #s 3,4,5,6,7 and 8. Now when I try to find something in them, they're all over the block- can't find what I want, and then it's mostly just drawings.

Is there a good service manual out there for this car?

I have a dodge neon and dodge's service manual is top-shelf, I learned a ton about the car from it, since it explained the function of all the parts.

Thanks for reading,

1x2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm not sure exactly what your problem is, and the 2004 plate is slightly different, but I'll take a stab anyway.

I think there are 3 bolts, all in a row toward the front. ..Did you get them all out? I have 2 because I lost one.

Is it removing the clips? they have a center section which pops out, then they pull out of their hole. I don't remember how many there are, 6 is about right.

If it's stuck you didn't get everything out, it comes off easy.

1x2
    wv_wagoneer,

Hey, thanks for answering. Yeah, it's the "clips" I can't figure out (I saw 2 bolts up front, if it still hangs, I'll look for a third!). I see the clips sit inside a kind of washer with a lip, there's two small slots in this lip, they're cut on opposite sides of this lip.

Do I just take a screwdriver and pry out the center piece and leave the "washer" behind? The clips are rounded and I can't grab them with anything to pull on them. Will I be able to reuse them?

Thanks again!

1x2

1x2
    Ok, a guy just came by and showed me the answer to the clips. There's a pin, and it sits in an expandable housing that expands on the upside of the tray. You push the housing into the undertray, then push the pin down the center of the pin housing, the pin expands the housing, and the housing holds the tray in place. The pin pops out with a screwdriver.

It wasn't clear to me that the pin and the pin housing were separate pieces- the pin I "destroyed" is still usable after all.

Thanks again, WV.

Now, what do you all recommend for a good service manual?

1x2

Glad you got it.

reccomended manuals: www.scoobymods.com, www.clubwrx.net and www.nasioc.com lol The first hand experience on these boards is awesome.

I don't own the manual. I've seen and used pages from it, and I was never impressed. Somtimes they have strange ways of going about things.

I still mangle those clips, I don't have much patience. I take what's left of it to autozone and look for a decent match. Zip ties also work good in places.

1x2
    wv,

Thanks. In these "prying" times it's nice to know there's other people out there.

If you've seen the manuals you know the books are organized such that you need a decoder ring to make sense of them...alas, I can find no ring.

I think I get your idea, the manuals are as worthless as I see them, and these boards are the answer. I keep forgetting to look at scoobymods...

I'm waiting for the warranty to expire before I start digging into the rex, otherwise I'd be more help around here...

Later,

1x2