Confused about Subaru's recommended maintenance schedule...

This is a discussion on Confused about Subaru's recommended maintenance schedule... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The first service (including oil change) comes at 3,750. The next service after that is 7,500 and so on... what ...

Question Confused about Subaru's recommended maintenance schedule...

The first service (including oil change) comes at 3,750. The next service after that is 7,500 and so on... what is confusing me is that I though that you had to change the oil after every 3,000 miles at the latest... why is Subaru performing oil changes after so many miles? What is the right thing to do? Follow Subaru's schedule or what?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1x2
    thsiaoo,

There's lots of voodoo in this, but the easy answer is to follow subie's schedule. How could they complain? Lots of people who care about their car change dinosaur oil every 3,000 mi. This increases the probability that the engine will last as long as possible. If you have the motor rebuilt later in life, it'll cost less money if it's been well cared for.

I think part of subie's thinking is that they specify a high grade of oil and that should hold up well on their schedule. There's some real junk oil out there- Pennzoil comes to mind.

The key is, I don't think there's any penalty for changing the oil AND FILTER more often than subie's schedule, so why take the chance?

FWIW, I switched to Mobil 1 at 15,036 mi, this was after changing O&F at 3k, 6.8k, and 10.7k miles. After 15k, I changed O&F at 19k and 24.8k, the odo is at 26k now.

I have a neon with 155k miles on it as testimony to using synthetic oil, and before that a Mazda 323 had 124k on it and was running like new with great power when a bozo took me out and I had to send it to the junkyard. You can still see cross-hatching on the cylinder walls of the neon (had the head off last year). Good mtce costs money, but lots less than buying new cars more frequently.

1x2

Simple answer: the 3000mi oil change is a farce. Maybe if you're using the cheapest possible SL rated dino oil from Safeway and a turbo, you should stick to 3000mi intervals, but oils are made to last much longer under normal conditions. You should see the intervals they use in Europe...Many people typically change at 15,000 miles on good synthetic, and that's conservative. High end synthetics don't even start working their best until 3500mi and the additive package chemistry kicks in to full effect.

3000mi oil changes make Jiffy Lube and dealership service departments a lot of money.

"severe driving conditions"

Quote Originally Posted by thsiaoo
    The first service (including oil change) comes at 3,750. The next service after that is 7,500 and so on... what is confusing me is that I though that you had to change the oil after every 3,000 miles at the latest... why is Subaru performing oil changes after so many miles? What is the right thing to do? Follow Subaru's schedule or what?
    Also, notice that there is a little "when used under severe driving conditions... change every 3750 or 3 1/4 months" I bet most everyone here uses their cars in severe driving conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by 45Logic

3000mi oil changes make Jiffy Lube and dealership service departments a lot of money.
    i've worked at 3 dealerships, and am about to go to a 4th and none of them have had a 3K interval. the closest was toyota, which on the pre-2002 cars go on a 3750 schedule and the farthest was MB and BMW which went as far as 15K (which i still think is a ludicrous attempt to save money because the maintenances are free during the warranty period ).

someone above mentioned "normal" conditions. what is normal conditions? if you drove mostly highway miles in a moderate climate with low humitidy, low dust, etc then you can go at the "normal" interval. for everyone else (or, everyone) who has temperature extremes and the like, go a little more often. FWIW i go 5K on both cars using mobil 1 and OEM filters
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thsiaoo
    Check out the data just posted by Quack on his wagon with a VF30 turbo and Mobil1 for over 8,000 miles, it's a great post in the maintenance forum. And to answer the question: follow the manual only.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.