What starts happening at 1K miles, 5K, 10K and up?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What starts happening at 1K miles, 5K, 10K and up? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know all cars break in and adjust to thier owners differently, but I was wondering if there were any ...

What starts happening at 1K miles, 5K, 10K and up?

I know all cars break in and adjust to thier owners differently, but I was wondering if there were any consistent quarks (improvements/problems) people notice during these milestones? Just so those of us behind, know what to expect.

I 'll also ackowledge that w/ the vast range of mods out there, it'll be hard to gauge this, but I think most of us can discern if a change is due to a mod or just the car growing-up.

For example, at 4K miles, I started to notice the car is not as quiet or smooth when idle, but seems smoother during driving (acceleration, shifting, etc), which I think is an improvement. Also, the car seems louder w/ more rumble. I like this too. And no, she's still bone stock.

This thread may go no where cause there are SOOO many variables, but there's got to be some consistent changes.

Thanks for tuning in,
    dan.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The transmission gets smoother after 10k. That's about all I noticed other than the motor getting slightly noisier.

-Pace

Consistently, when a car is generally broken in aka after mfg's suggested breakin period, a car will generally get slightly better gas mileage, a little smoother, and more creaks and groans (things getting loose, your car is getting OLD! ).

Typical is that the exhaust has broken in, so you'll hear more noise. Hmm, I wouldn't classify any of this as "milestones" because there's just no set variables that would make it a milestone...

If I were to say that your car will experience massive lost of HP when it hits 50k, everyone would be scambling to sell their car before it hits 50k. There is a little truth to your car losing HP, but not at 50k miles. Most will lose some HP when the mileage gets near 100k-150k. Since it's gradual over a long period of time, you wouldn't notice the difference.

Milestones:
    5000 miles: most cars will get a big chip in their windshield, cause unknown, but most likely a pebble or tailgating a cement truck.

10000 miles: most cars will have an encounter with a said shopping cart, causing a "ding" in the body.

15000 miles: most cars will have had a flat tire and a new set of high performance tires will be required.

50000 miles: most turbo charged cars will need a boost. As the turbo will seem weak by now. Please upgrade to bigger turbo.

100k miles: most owners are getting too old to step on clutch. Time to trade in the car and get yourself an automatic.

200k miles: good luck

300k miles: hahahahahahahaha

500k miles: if your car is still running on all original OE hardware, and you still haven't changed your oil since 100k miles ago, please call Guiness.

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

Side note...

my 1972 2002tii with no engine rebuild is running pretty well with 285k miles on it!

viva la BMW

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.