Question on 02 and 03 WRXs
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question on 02 and 03 WRXs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi I am currently looking at buying an 02 or 03 WRX but had some questions on the reliability and ...

Question Question on 02 and 03 WRXs

Hi I am currently looking at buying an 02 or 03 WRX but had some questions on the reliability and potential problems. Do those models have any distinguishing problems that seem to be a major problem? Pretty much whats wrong with those models (if any), any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nothing major but unless the car is modified, make sure the Recalls (Cruise Control) have been taken care of as well as the Clutch Judder TSB. As long as the car was well maintained (regular service history or records) then you really have nothing to worry about. Depending on the milage and if the car was beat on, the transmission or clutch may not be smooth (in which case walk away). But after the clutch judder TSB service it should be fine. With anything, be absolutely sure you know the full history of the car and if in doubt walk away as there are plenty of WRXes and you always get what you pay for.

-chris

Good luck on buying a Subaru and trust me, you won't be dissapointed in these fine cars as long as they are treated right and not beat on.
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Smile

Awesome, consumer reports gave it all in the red for reliability and what not (thats good) so I didnt think there would be anything bad going on with it. I do plan on doing some VIN checks on the cars that I look at so im sure that should help although im not sure how I will know if the car has had the most recent recalls taken care of. Now just to check and see how much my insurance will go up....

P.S. What exactly is clutch jubber?

Clutch Judder is what happens to my GF's Miata occassionally as well. Its when you release the clutch on a cold morning and it doesn't feel like the clutch is catching and instead feels like its "shuddering" and shaking and transmitting that feeling up through the car to your shifter. Subaru has a Technical Service Bulletin to fix it so if you get it, bring it in and have the replacement parts install which take care of it. I did as well as put Royal Purple Tranny fluid in my gearbox and its silky smooth, even on freezing cold mornings.

-chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.