Mass Airflow Sensor - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Mass Airflow Sensor within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok, so i have this friend who is running a K&N and wants to clean his MAF and is not ...

ok, so i have this friend who is running a K&N and wants to clean his MAF and is not sure where exactly it is or what it looks like. can u explain a little what he should be looking for?
    2000 2.5RS I <3 JDM IH8M

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

a tubie thing in the intake tract with wires coming out of it, you cant miss it. Also use very light amount of fluid. The maf can only be cleaned so much before you wear the wire out.

aight i'll keep my eyes peeled for tubie thing. <--- my engines view of me later today poking around in it.
    2000 2.5RS I <3 JDM IH8M

Quote Originally Posted by GIRex
    a tubie thing in the intake tract with wires coming out of it, you cant miss it. Also use very light amount of fluid. The maf can only be cleaned so much before you wear the wire out.
    If you haven't already, search this thread (above) for a safe method for cleaning the MAF.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. REMOVE THE NEGATIVE LEAD FROM YOUR BATTERY FIRST BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING WITH THE MAF. There's the possibility of shorting out the MAF if you don't. So do that first, then go to the next paragraph.

In terms of where it is, first find your air cleaner box. That will be near the right front wheel well inside the engine bay. The top of the air cleaner box attaches to a flexible hose. Just before where it attaches, there's an electronic device attached to the top of the air cleaner box cover, with wires coming out of it. This device is the top cover of the MAF. Two screws hold it on. If you carefully examine the way the wires are attached to the MAF, you'll figure out how to detach the plug from the MAF, which is where the wires terminate. Detach the wire plug. Then take out the screws holding the MAF in place. Careful not to drop the screws, cuz you probably won't find them, then you'll really be stuck. After you've got the screws out, pull the MAF straight up. Stick a rag or something in the air cleaner hole you’ve just opened up so that nothing gets in there while you're dealing with the MAF cleaning. Since that hole is downstream from the air filter, anything dropped in the hole could get sucked right into a combustion chamber, perhaps getting munched by a valve first. If it’s something harder than a valve or a piston you could be in big trouble. After you clean the MAF, just do the reverse of the above.

When you disconnect your negative battery cable, your radio settings, clock and trip odometer will have to be reset.

My opinion after all I've been through and read is that you should can an oiled filter and go back to paper. I think the oiled filters will tend to re-coat the MAF.

~r

hmmm, i also got CEL right after i started my car with new K&N panel in. I was thinking about going to Autozone and puling the code but didn't have time because it was sunday and i was going to atox. I was pretty sure it may be may "no cat" CEL since i cleared one recently but during the day CEL went away on its own. It's possible that K&N caused it. I'll try to take look at my MAF today and clean it if necessary.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.