When should I get my FIRST oil change... 3,000 or 3,750 miles?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on When should I get my FIRST oil change... 3,000 or 3,750 miles? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; According to www.my.subaru.com my first oil change comes at 3,700 miles... however, don't we usually change oil every 3,000 miles? ...

Question When should I get my FIRST oil change... 3,000 or 3,750 miles?

According to www.my.subaru.com my first oil change comes at 3,700 miles... however, don't we usually change oil every 3,000 miles? When should I take it to the dealer for my FIRST oil change? Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would say do your first one at 1000 miles. Then after that it depends on whether or not you use synth.

I changed mind at 3,000. It won't hurt to change earlier, but I don't see the need to.
    2004 Java Black WRX - so close to stage two, I can taste it.

I thought that most people recommended the first change at 1k to get any possible metal particles from the break in and also the assembly lube out.

VR4
    check your oil... if it seems really clean (no particles or darkness) wait till the 3k. Im in the same boat as you, I just reached 1k miles on my 05 but my oil looks completely new. It looks as if my engine came pre-broken in.

I changed at 1k but you should be fine waiting until 3k. I wouldn't wait until 3750 but that is just me.
    2002 Impreza 2.5RS

Many told me to change it as soon as i got the car home or at 500 miles. Then change it normally at 3000 and so on. Reason I was told was that most shavings come during the pre break in era. Its good to get rid of the larger ones early.

I didn't listen and changed at 1500 and went directly to Synthetic.

Hopefully not too off topic...
    So, my car is about to hit 3,000 miles. The closest Subaru dealership is well, not so close. My question is would it be better of for me to drive to a Subaru dealership, since I have a Subaru vehicle? Or would it not matter?

Also I want to put synthetic oil into my car. For a reminder 3,000 miles or so is the recommended mileage to switch to synthetic by Subaru correct? And what kind brand of synthetic oil does Subaru use, if they have a specific kind. And is it good? Or do Subaru carry different synthetic oil, and if so which would be recommended by you guys?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by STim; 11-17-2004 at 11:50 PM.

Just jack it up and change it with Mobil 1 filter and oil. The peace of mind alone will extend your life at least two years.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderspark
    Just jack it up and change it with Mobil 1 filter and oil. The peace of mind alone will extend your life at least two years.
    +1

Do it yourself. It's not that hard. It's ok to get a little dirty.
    96 Honda Integra Type R
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (DD)
    02 Subaru WRX (sold)
    www.HirevImports.com
    Brandon@HiRevImports.com

VR4
    Do it yourself. It's not that hard. It's ok to get a little dirty.
    not in my appt complex... I've already been told my tenancy was in jeopardy for working on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by VR4
    not in my appt complex... I've already been told my tenancy was in jeopardy for working on my car.
    Not to be an ass, but I'm sure you have friends who wouldn't mind helping you or just changing your oil at their place or somthing. idk I just think it's a waste of 20-30 bucks for the dealership to change your oil. That's a week worth of gas money right there.
    96 Honda Integra Type R
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (DD)
    02 Subaru WRX (sold)
    www.HirevImports.com
    Brandon@HiRevImports.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.