58k service, questions...

This is a discussion on 58k service, questions... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Recently picked up a used wrx, for a good deal. I skipped on a new one, with winter comming and ...

58k service, questions...

Recently picked up a used wrx, for a good deal. I skipped on a new one, with winter comming and the fact that this is my first car with a stick, I felt itd be better to get used to driving stick through the winter, then upgrade once I feel Im a better driver.

After reading up on the Subaru website I took it in for a tune-up and service. Even replaced the water pump, belts, flushed radiator and had the whole car looked over. I replaced the crank pulley since it was looking wabbly and the timing belt.

Question is, should I run synthetic oil for engine and trans at this mileage? Ive heard in the past that as the mileage goes up, it gets to a point where you shouldnt run synthetic anymore. I held out on the oil change and trans fluid drain/fill until I figured out if I should run synthetic. Any advice?

Thanks in advance, I just want to keep her running good until next year when I trade up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the whole high mileage thing against synthetic is hogwash; i can tell you from personal experience and research. if your car starts leaking oil when you'd switch to synthetic, then it had inevitable oil leaks to begin with only now they are much more apparent. check cobb tuning's website for good information on what trans/diff fluids to use. i use redline 75w90 in the trans and redline mtl in the diff; you can change them yourself with a funnel, a rubber hose, and a 1/2" ratchet - it's cake .

i would also change the fuel filter if you aren't sure it's been done lately, it's really easy and should cost you $20. search the forum for instructions.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!