Subaru dealer told me this re: synthetic oil - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru dealer told me this re: synthetic oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by nofear6235 Do you have older 2.0 engine? 2002 WRX 2.0L I do see coolant loss prob. about ...

Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235
    Do you have older 2.0 engine?
    2002 WRX 2.0L

I do see coolant loss prob. about a quart in 15k miles, but no oil loss.

maybe it was because I did very careful break-in?

-kept the RPM's under 4k for the first 4500 miles
    -kept it out of boost for the first 4500 miles
    -conventional oil for the first 12k miles
    Last edited by blarg; 10-02-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    2002 WRX 2.0L

Its about how I drove and keep driving, I never beat my Rex yet, its a little over 10k now, it may be oil I use lately.
    NAPA High Performance 10W30 over the hot summer month.
    My next oil change will be M1 full synt, 10W30, i'll keep my eyes on it and will post result later

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235
    A little off topic, but its relevent to oil.
    What is exceptable ammount of oil people loosing between oil changes on new WRX's.
    Lets say 3.500 miles. I am new to this car and noticed that it burns about half quart between the oil change, didn't really drive hard yet.
    Of course its alot less then I am loosing on my Turbo Supra and alot more then 6 cyl 2004Toyota 4Runner.
    Newer motors will have odd consumption. They tend to settle down as they break in. Mine did exactly what you describe for the first few oil changes with conventional oil. I'd not worry about it yet, just keep it topped up and keep checking and follow the maintenance intervals.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine
    ^^ Thanks SD-GR

nothing but mobil 1 has been in either of my subarus since i bought my first one in december of '00 and unless mobil goes out of business or mobil 1 is reformulated and starts sucking, nothing else ever will.
    05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Chambers
    nothing but mobil 1 has been in either of my subarus since i bought my first one in december of '00 and unless mobil goes out of business or mobil 1 is reformulated and starts sucking, nothing else ever will.
    they already DID, and it DID start sucking, and then they reformulated again and it started being good again. I mean, it was still better oil than most, but there was a time when M1 was hydrockracked petrolium like all the others after they lost their lawsuit against all the other companies that were using the term "synthetic" and were still using petrolium. I guess they got over themselves eventually.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    they already DID, and it DID start sucking, and then they reformulated again and it started being good again. I mean, it was still better oil than most, but there was a time when M1 was hydrockracked petrolium like all the others after they lost their lawsuit against all the other companies that were using the term "synthetic" and were still using petrolium. I guess they got over themselves eventually.
    That was Castrol, not Mobil. M1 has always been poly-alpha olefin. Castrol Syntec was and still is hydrocracked GrIII base stock in some grades (but GrIV and/or V in others). The imported Castrol stuff is generally fully synthetic (the lawsuit you speak of affects marketing in the US, not the EU; there, a synthetic is a true synthetic) but the other grades can be GrIII.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I am not certain what Mobil did right after the suit. I know Castrol continues to this day to sell hydrocracked oil as synthetic, since after all that's what they wanted in the first place and the suit favoured that. It could be that Mobil tried to pull this off too (they were using true synth before and certainly now, but I can't find stuff of their around the turn of the decade). This means you're right, I'm wrong.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-03-2006 at 02:41 PM.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2002 WRX 2.0L

If you were that disciplined, Subaru should give you a new car just for having that much self control.

just switched to winter oil

summer 10w30 mobil one
    winter 5w30 mobil one

i think it runs alot smoother , started using sysn m1 around 43k , it now has 54k on it . no problems . i also use the factory oil filters . seems like it starts alot faster .

of course FASSTI gets his oil changed at the dealer and they told him it won't need to be changed until 20k miles later .

i change mine every 3k miles , use the trip B as my oil miles since once it past 999 miles the decimal point gets removed and counts into the thousands .

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by C89ZX7R
    summer 10w30 mobil one
    winter 5w30 mobil one
    Have you see the data sheets for these? You might want to just run 5W-30 all year round oddly enough:

cSt@40C
    5W: 64.8 10W: 62

cSt@100C
    5W:11.3 10W: 10.0

Viscosity Index
    5W: 169 10W: 147

Ash is the same for both, 1%

HTHS Viscosity in mPa*s @ 150C
    5W: 3.09 10W: 3.14

Pour point:
    5W: -54C 10W: -45C

Flash point:
    5w: 230C 10W: 224C

So the 5W-30 is a better choice for winter (OK, I can accept that) as well as summer (I need a drink!)... Very odd product choice on Mobil's part, but they're both great oils. They may as well sell the 5W-30 only from what these numbers say. Both are from the same base stock anyway.

i also use the factory oil filters
    Same here.

i change mine every 3k miles
    At 5000 drain intervals (what I use with Mobil1) I have data to show I'm draining perfectly good oil - meaning I'm wasting my time, my money, and resources. I chose 5000 since it's a round number and yields 2 drains per 10K while still maintaining the warranty-mandated correct drain intervals. You might want to do an analysis at 3000 and go from there, especially if you are topping off at all during those 3K miles (and thus replenishing the additive package to some extent).

here is a question, i used valvoline synthentic in my 97 prelude, then the motor failed after 15,000. i figured it was a used car and i couldnt drive worth a crap. so i traded it in when it was fixed and got a 05 wrx, used mobil 1 synthetic and the motor blew at 25,000! so my question is should i just stick to regelar oil now that i have the sti 2.5 short block and is synthetic even worth its high price when i can change regular oil more often because its cheaper?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangiardi83
    here is a question, i used valvoline synthentic in my 97 prelude, then the motor failed after 15,000. i figured it was a used car and i couldnt drive worth a crap. so i traded it in when it was fixed and got a 05 wrx, used mobil 1 synthetic and the motor blew at 25,000!
    What caused your motors to fail?

If you are only keeping motors an average of 20,000 miles, I see no reason to change the oil at all.

well the prelude i have no idea but i was told that my oil pump was bad on the subie, so now im just going to run regular oil and change it often.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK I see. It's very difficult to find someone with a road car that's experienced an oil-related failure if they've done the correct maintenance and used the spec'ed fluids these days. You'll be fine if you use an established brand with the correct specs.

just for sh!ts and g!ggles, I used extra virgin olive oil for my last oil change.
    go f*** yourself

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast