Subaru dealer told me this re: synthetic oil - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru dealer told me this re: synthetic oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My opinion for what its worth is that if your using synthetic you may burn more oil than with regular ...

My opinion for what its worth is that if your using synthetic you may burn more oil than with regular petroleum based lube. My guess is that people using synthetic oil are not checking their fuid levels as often as they should and running low between changes causing engine damage.

There are more than a few people around here that have found they need to add oil between changes. CHECK YOUR FLUID!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dan240
    My opinion for what its worth is that if your using synthetic you may burn more oil than with regular petroleum based lube. My guess is that people using synthetic oil are not checking their fuid levels as often as they should and running low between changes causing engine damage.

There are more than a few people around here that have found they need to add oil between changes. CHECK YOUR FLUID!!
    What you talking about Willis? I've yet to remember hearing about anyone on here burning oil.....

I switched to synthetic at 60k and haven't had any oil consumption.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Quote Originally Posted by wrxinfx
    hahaha ...

But honestly... doesn't like the Corvette come with mobil 1 synthetic from the factory..??

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I know i heard of one manufacturer using it from the factory.
    yep vette's come with it in them from the factory

<=====my old baby

idiots. all of them. so sad too, considering they sell cool cars.

dR

I Support ClubWRX
    All motors consume some oil. I saw my use DROP when switching to synth, not increase.

I went from up to 600 ml per 3,000 miles using regular, dealer-supplied oil, to about the same amount changing in my own M1 10w-30, to ~300 ml per 5,000 miles when I added some M1 15W-50 to the M1 10W-30, to *NONE MEASUREABLE* for my second drain on the newer M1 5W-40 "Delvac1 poor boy." This second fill of M1 5W-40 has been in the car for about 5,500 miles now and I still cannot see any consumption on the dipstick - I *am* using some oil, but it's not gotten to the point where I can see it yet.

I would guess people willing to shell out $5 per L for motor oil and to do their own oil changes are also willing to check their fluid levels routinely. I certainly do.

I'm about to drive to Las Vegas and am debatting whether to change the 5,500-mile-old oil, even though deep down I know there is absolutely no reason to do so. Old habbits die hard. I may just check the level before I leave and keep it in until the mandated 7,500 (at which point it'll still be perfectly good oil anyway).

EDIT: Forget Astons and Porsches, even Fiats come with synthetic motor oil (Punto GT Turbo did for example, and most users now run Selenia Racing 10W-60, a Fuchs-made, heavy-duty true synthetic 60-weight oil in a 1.4L 4cyl motor...).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-03-2004 at 03:33 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Forget Astons and Porsches, even Fiats come with synthetic motor oil
    Is that supposed to be a recommendation ?

I Support ClubWRX
    I onced yumped an X1/9 and the wheel wells failed, so I could see the suspension through the front hood.

I loved the Uno turbo and even better the Punto GT with the turbo. Very fast cars and nimble, so they were easy to get onto a flatbed for towing whenever something failed...

My favourite Fiats are the 131 Abarth and the 500.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ive used syntetic ( mobile 1 ) in my sti from 1000 miles up . i checked it 500 miles before it needed to be changed, and my dipstick was on E. i added a quort and itwas back up. so at like 2000 miles after a 1000 miles from the oil change it burned a qourt is that mean their is something wrong with my engine? or is it cause i drive it hard everyday, and i use synthetic so early.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

You might still be in the break in perios for the engine so it still might be sealign things up.

<=====my old baby

well once when i driving i misshifted and went to 8k rpm for a sec, but its been 2000 miles since then and i never noticed any power lose or anything wrong. do you think that because that happend its causeing the oil to burn now?
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no way to tell without tearing down the motor *and* doing an oil analysis. Most likely your motor is fine and your single over-rev incident didn't harm it. If you are doing your own oil changes you need to keep receipts to document the materials purchased and the date for warranty purposes. A new motor will likely consume some oil and may settle down to a lower consumption later in life. What grade of M1 are you using?

i'm a service writer and i think they were trying to sell oil. lol that's funny though, because on oil changes we literally barely break even with the costs involved. do some research on oil and decide for yourself. i use synthetic in all my cars, as i live in an extreme climate and it clearly outperforms dino oil in situations like cold starts at -10F. i've tried different brands and have settled on mobil 1 (though in my old honda passport it caused noisy lifter tick; castrol syntec made it go away).
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine
    Resurrecting old thread, but its funny to me reading about dealers BS!
    I can actually blame the Ramsey dealer in NJ for using 99c Exxon Super Flow for my first oil change. I usually work on my cars on my own, but my 2006 WRX TR had heater problem, so I went there to use my warranty and decide to change oil at the same time, thinking that Subie dealers will use the same good stuff as Toyota or Honda, turn out I was wrong.
    That was my first and last visit there, unless something happened and warranty cover.
    BTW while fixing my heater, workers scratched my console and damage the dashboard around heater area, so you never know if you should go there for every problem covered by warranty. I would go only if it involves allot of work.
    So dealers opinions are not 100% granted

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235
    I can actually blame the Ramsey dealer in NJ for using 99c Exxon Super Flow for my first oil change.
    Exxon Superflow is essentially the OEM oil for Honda in the United States. OEM Honda oil has a label with the manufacturer on it. It is IMO a very competent oil; however, it is not capable of competing with a good synthetic such as M1 in high stress or extended drain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235
    I can actually blame the Ramsey dealer in NJ for using 99c Exxon Super Flow for my first oil change.
    As SD-GR said, Exxon Superflow is a good oil. Current API standards are pretty strict and any SM/GF-4 oil will do a good job of protecting your engine.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.