Losing Anti-Freeze

This is a discussion on Losing Anti-Freeze within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone else have a problem with losing antifreeze? I fill the reservoir up and then it goes back to low ...

Losing Anti-Freeze

Anyone else have a problem with losing antifreeze? I fill the reservoir up and then it goes back to low after 6 months. Is this normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've never seen any leaks and haven't smelled anything weird.

Oh yeah...I always check when the engine is off and still hot.

Ever run hot? Head gasket problems will eat coolant.....

Other that that, I dunno.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, mine does this too. I have presure-tested the system, had the dealer check twice, replaced the rad (warranty) and found a small leak that sometimes occured, sometimes not, that was due to a lose factory hose clamp on the top end of the coolant line from the rad cap platform to the turbo. I fixed that with a screw clamp.

I have lab analysis data to show there is no coolant in my oil. I see no coolant residue anywhere in the motor bay, and there was no pressure drop when I had the system tested.

Yet every several months the coolant level seems to drop from topped to low on the overflow reservoir.

Your guess is as good as mine.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

any harm from this? i can't find a visible leak and if it is, it must be really small and gradual. Should I just fill it up over and over again?

You know, its weird that I have the same problem and I was about to ask the same thing.

About every 6 months I notice the levels a little lower than usual. Never ran hot that I know of (at least on the stock guage). You're guess is as good as mine but will look into it next week when Im swapping out to VF34.

I hope its not serious...

Coolant could still be leaking into the combustion chamber with no evidence of an external leak or coolant in the oil.

The WRX cooling system may also lose more coolant than other cars due to evaporation for whatever reason. I don't imagine this is true, but anything is possible.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

I Support ClubWRX
    I suspect the spring clamps that come standard on the hoses are not the greatest and under certain circumstances may spit up a bit; as a matter of fact I've seen this happend on the coolant line to the turbo, on my stock car. A screw clamp fixed that, but there may be other clamps seeping or something. I know of the previous head gasket issues, but these seem to have been resolved by Subaru by now, and at the very least they are well documented. I'm not too worried at this point, but am open to suggestions.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

tan
    Get a UV sensitive dye added to the coolant. In a week or so, you can use a blacklight to find the potential leaking spots.

I lie this idea^^^. I might try that. You wouldn't happen to know where I could get some do you?
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

i actually asked a friend of mine who is a bmw/saab/land rover master tech and he told me that boxer engines do evaporate more than other engine types, for whatever reason and you may notice it more during seasonal change. i noticed mine go low a couple times over a months time (october) and now it's holding steady. so whatev.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you want to look for an external leak, do the dye test. If you want to test for a small head gasket leak, use a coolant hydrocarbos tester. It tests for hydrocarbons in the coolant.