Brake help please

This is a discussion on Brake help please within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm bleeding hte brakes on my own with some speed bleeders and wanna know if after pressing the pedal to ...

Exclamation Brake help please

I'm bleeding hte brakes on my own with some speed bleeders and wanna know if after pressing the pedal to the floor and squeezing out old fluid, is it normal for the pedal to not stick to the floor when bleeding them out?

I know when I bled the clutch it stuck to the floor after each individual bleed.

Kind of confused here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bleeding with the SpeedBleeders is just like bleeding the old fashioned way. Yes the pedal should comer back up on it's own. You should not allow it to come up quickly but use your foot to let it up slowly as the Subaru manual specifies. Slowly allow the pedal to come back up. Make sure you keep the reservoir full! You wouldn't want to have to bleed the master cylinder.

okay so then the pedal popping back up on its own is normal then.

how fast (or slow) do you push the pedal down? and how fast (or slow) do you pull it back up?

......can pulling it up too slowly be bad?

sorry for all the questions

Yes the pedals should pop back up on their own in normal situations.

You pretty much just don't want to take your foot off it so it pops up on it's own. Hard to say how fast in words. The Subaru Manual says to press the pedal in very slowly and hold for 1 or 2 seconds. Slowly release the pedal. It notes several times to move brake pedal very slowly. Final note "allow 3 to 4 seconds between 2 brake pedal operations.

You don't have to worry about moving the pedal too slowly only too quickly.

You are getting too nervous about it. Take your time and you should be ok.
    Last edited by tarbaj; 10-27-2004 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tarbaj
    Yes the pedals should pop back up on their own in normal situations.

You pretty much just don't want to take your foot off it so it pops up on it's own. Hard to say how fast in words. The Subaru Manual says to press the pedal in very slowly and hold for 1 or 2 seconds. Slowly release the pedal. It notes several times to move brake pedal very slowly. Final note "allow 3 to 4 seconds between 2 brake pedal operations.

You don't have to worry about moving the pedal too slowly only too quickly.

You are getting too nervous about it. Take your time and you should be ok.
    thanks.

i get a weird crunch somewhere halfway through each pedal press (and on the way bavck up as well), what is that and is it normal?