Steering Fluid Leak
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Steering Fluid Leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Dang, my almost-new car is messing up my garage floor. Started out small, one drip every once in a while. ...

Steering Fluid Leak

Dang, my almost-new car is messing up my garage floor. Started out small, one drip every once in a while. This is a warranty issue, but I procrastinated taking it to the dealer - they're not that close and fighting the commuter traffic to get over there is a a pain.

Started leaking worse this week, so I scheduled it with the dealer, but drove it up on the ramps and went under the car today to nail the source of it. It's the fitting where the line comes down from the reservoir and attaches to the other line which runs directly under the plane of the front axle and attaches to the steering unit on the driver's side.

Tried a flare-nut wrench first, couldn't even get it on. Next an open end wrench which I think tightened the nut a little but there's just no room to turn a wrench down there. Passed by the hardware store on the way to work and got a 17mm crows-foot wrench which I think will do the trick for that confined space.

Appears to me that the male end has gradually backed itself out of the fitting. Anybody else had this problem, or know what the torque spec is for this fitting ? I can bring it to the dealer, but if I can just tighten it myself, why bother ?
    Old, but not slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fixed it. That crow-foot wrench on a long extension did the trick nicely. Now I don't have to mess around with taking it to the dealer. Who knows, they might treat me like poor Russ, tell me my mods have messed up the steering.
    Old, but not slow.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.