Oil Filter for a 2005 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil Filter for a 2005 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I went to the local parts store “O’Rileys”, but they don't have any info on the 2005 yet . I ...

Oil Filter for a 2005 WRX

I went to the local parts store “O’Rileys”, but they don't have any info on the 2005 yet . I asked for the filter that goes on the 2004 expecting them to be the same. Well I later found out after taking off the plastic shield underneath the car that the 2005 oil filter has a much smaller diameter then the one they gave me.
    I am over due for my first oil change and live too far from a dealer to just stop by and get one. Can anyone help me find one? Is there a Wix part number out there somewhere? I was just going to order one from a vendor like subaruparts.com like I did on my 03 but they don’t have any in stock for the 05.
    Help Please??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If I were you I would just go with an OEM filter. I think they are made by purolator and are of good quality. Just my two cents. It may take a few months for the filters to come in at the auto parts store. How many miles you have on your 05? You have 3000 already? .
    04 Cayenne Red XT....b1tch.
    Cobb Stage 2 Protune on the way....
    Kartboy SS
    bling free since 1975

Im up to about 3500 miles. Its a long drive to a suby dealership for me. I placed an order for some through subaruparts.com. There site says they are out of stock at the moment. Hopefully some will come in soon.

I did some research and the 04 filter and the 05 filter are the same. Why would the parts store give me a completely different size filter for the 04 then in needed?

Get that factory fill outta there!!!! They are t00ls. Be careful with what they tell ya I would trust looking it up myself and thats about it.
    04 Cayenne Red XT....b1tch.
    Cobb Stage 2 Protune on the way....
    Kartboy SS
    bling free since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by ONE-HITTER
    Im up to about 3500 miles. Its a long drive to a suby dealership for me. I placed an order for some through subaruparts.com. There site says they are out of stock at the moment. Hopefully some will come in soon.

I did some research and the 04 filter and the 05 filter are the same. Why would the parts store give me a completely different size filter for the 04 then in needed?
    I just stopped by Autozone to get a filter. They don't have 05 models in their system yet and the computer finds two different filter part numbers for 04s depending on the date of manufacture. They have have given you the part number for the older models.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    I just stopped by Autozone to get a filter. They don't have 05 models in their system yet and the computer finds two different filter part numbers for 04s depending on the date of manufacture. They have have given you the part number for the older models.
    Exterior appearance isn't everything!

Subaru uses whomever they are currently getting the best deal from. Commonly Purolator or Wix but not necessarily. These filters will vary somewhat in appearance and structure.

Subaru changed the design midway in '03 (IIRC) for a smaller diameter filter to reduce heat soak from the exhaust, But the two are otherwise identical and interchangeable - same threads, same seal diameter, same everything.

The '04 filter will fit the '05 just fine - it's the same block, afterall.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Quote Originally Posted by GV27
    Exterior appearance isn't everything!

Subaru uses whomever they are currently getting the best deal from. Commonly Purolator or Wix but not necessarily. These filters will vary somewhat in appearance and structure.

Subaru changed the design midway in '03 (IIRC) for a smaller diameter filter to reduce heat soak from the exhaust, But the two are otherwise identical and interchangeable - same threads, same seal diameter, same everything.

The '04 filter will fit the '05 just fine - it's the same block, afterall.

C
    Both '04 filters will fit?

I'm looking to get the Purolator PureOne PL14460 if it'll fit.
    Last edited by Darrell; 10-24-2004 at 09:35 AM.

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Im running into the same problem. I went to a lube n' tube place thats local to me the other day and they informed me that they didn't have a filter for the '05. I asked if they had one for the '04, they did, but the mechanic wasn't sure if it would work. I told him it should, same engine. He then suggested I get a filter myself and bring the car back, probably would be cheaper anyways. So that I did, went to the local autozone and ofcourse, they two didn't have a filter. So I grabbed a Mobil1 filter for the '04 and will take my car in tmw. I'll let ya'll know if their are any problems.

Is the Mobil filter the M1-104?

I just did my oil change tonight. Mileage is 1,322. The new PL14460 filter is a fair amount larger than the stock filter, but the gasket mating surface for the oil filter looks wide enough to accomodate almost every filter on the market. I matched up the gaskets on the stock and Purolator filters and they were the same diameter. I filled up the engine with Mobil 1 5W-30.

I'm going to keep a close eye on the level and check it a couple of times over the next few days. My driveway isn't quite level, so I want to be sure to check it on a flatter surface. The oil light on the dash wasn't on for more than 3 seconds.

I bought a few packs of oil drain plug crush washers at Advance Auto Parts (p/n 35311 I think) and they fit fine.

What do you guys use for ramps or do you just do the whole thing without jacking the car at all? I put a floor jack with a block of wood under the jacking point on the driver side of the car to give a little more access room.

no..I believe it was the M1-108. I took it in to jiffy lube yesterday and they popped the hood and were getting to ready to change the oil when they came back and informed me that their was a sensor and/or wire attached to the oil plug. Seeing that, they weren't comfortable changing the oil. So I left and went to a Mobil EZ-Lube down the street, not only were they able to use the filter I bought, but they were also able to change the oil without any problems.

Is it an oil temperature sensor?

I believe so..the guy I talked to said he's worked on '04's and older before, this was the first '05 he's worked on.

For Purolator, the PL14460 is equivalent to the larger filters for 02-03. The newer filters now listed for 04-05, which are slightly smaller, are PL14612.

Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is as long as it doesn't leak oil. You can change to the smaller filter at your next oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by elduderino
    I believe so..the guy I talked to said he's worked on '04's and older before, this was the first '05 he's worked on.
    If you have the gauge package, I'm guessing there is an oil temp gauge. I'm willing to bet that that's what the sensor is for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast