Differential Fluid

This is a discussion on Differential Fluid within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well it has come time for me to change my Tranny fluid so I am planning on using Amsoil 75W-90 ...

Differential Fluid

Well it has come time for me to change my Tranny fluid so I am planning on using Amsoil 75W-90 gear lube, I realize i need 3.75L to fill this up. My main question is this is also a good time to replace my differential fluid and was wondering if this would work as well for the differential and if so, how much more do I need? I did do a quick search here so I am also going to search nabisco so any help is really apreciated.
    Honda's are like tampons every P---y has one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From Cobb themselves... http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/gearoil/index.html

I use S2000 'smurf oil' myself.

Another good resource for oil information: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

EDIT: Spec reference for WRX, including fluid capacities: http://www.oakos.com/wrx/specs.htm

Front differential is integral with transmission, so it's 3.7 quarts for front diff/transmission and 0.8 quart for rear diff. 75w-90 gear lube works in both transmission and differential, just has to be GL-5. Cobb lists Redline MT-90 as an option, but I think it is only GL-4 so may prompt SOA to contest a warranty claim. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by 45Logic; 10-13-2004 at 10:48 PM.

This helps a lot. I did take a look at Cobbs site and saw what it said about AMSOIL which is what made me want it in the first place, I guess I should have read more into it.

You might want to run a search on here under 'synchromesh' and 'syncromesh' as well. The Amsoil Series 2000 is great, but unless you're really good with a manual transmission you might have problems shifting due to the low friction it provides for the syncros.

GM synchromesh is supposed to be a pretty good compromise between lubricity and synchro function...I run my car in extremely cold temperatures, so I use the S2000 to save on gas and reduce parasitic drag.

Also, Amsoil just came out with a new formula gear lube...: http://www.amsoil.com/products/svg.htm

I just changed both the transmission and rear end fluid with the Amsoil 75w90 fluid. This is the second time I have done this with a total of 75k miles on the car. I have had no issues with the transmission. Am soil is a very good quality product, I exclusively use there fluids throughout my rex. Hope this helps.

Both of you helped me immensly thanks a lot!

how often does the gear oil need to be changes? I am a little less than half full on gear oil and I am wondering if I should just add oil or change it. What oil comes in it stock, and what is good to add for everyday driving for an sti?

I think the book says it needs to be changed at 30,000mi.

Yeah...The book says 30k unless you fall under "severe service" in your driving. I changed mine at 15k.

I think I read on BiTOG that the factory fill is Valvoline dino.

The main advantage to switching to synthetic is reduced wear on your transmission. It will also increase gas mileage and WHP slightly.

As for brands, I'm biased in favor of Amsoil S2K or SevereGear or Redline Shockproof.