Stock Tach Not Working
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock Tach Not Working within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so the other day my tach started radomly bouncing around and now it just flat out doesn't work sometimes ...

Stock Tach Not Working

Ok so the other day my tach started radomly bouncing around and now it just flat out doesn't work sometimes (it comes and goes about 50/50). Does anyone know where the wires go for this? I have no indications of anyhting other than a loose wire somewhere (no radio issues, no light problems)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

2 year old post, but I'm going to BUMP it.

I'm having this exact same issue in my 2004 WRX. How to fix it?

The tachometer just bounces randomly, sometimes sitting on 0, sometimes working fine. Problem wasnt as bad at first, and has gotten progressively worse. I assume its a short or something, as if I flick on the cluster or push it in (hold it in) while driving the tach seems to read fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Get to the actual gauge cluster and check for loose connections. There are three green plugs that plug in to the cluster, make sure they're all in there tight. This is only your first step, if that doesn't work, I couldn't tell you what it is.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

2002 WRX

I was having the same issue. I disassembled my entire instrumentation cluster and checked the connections. The problem was still intermittent and really annoying. I decided to remove my clock pod and while driving (yes, this is dangerous) reach through the clock pod and fiddle with the wiring harness and pulling on the various mount points. I figured out that in a certain position the tach would work absolutely fine, so I eliminated the possibility that I had a broken tach. I tracked the wires down to behind the fuse box and it turned out the previous owner had done a poor job of wiring when they had an after market tach. If the wiring is the same look in the jumble of wires for a red wire with a green stripe and make sure there's no frays/cuts and that it's all connected properly.

This isn't your exact problem but I thought it might be some valuable background.

Appreciate the input. I've got to guess it's a loose wire behind the cluster. I'm going to go out and attempt to remove the cluster right now. I'll post an update right after / during the work.

Thanks for the input, hopefully all goes well.

Wow had no idea removing the cluster was so easy!

I pulled it out, jiggled the wires some, reinstalled, and *POOF*! The tachometer is reading perfectly 100% of the time, and my *beep* sound now works when locking / unlocking the car (honking always worked, when you locked it twice).

The wires seemed as if they needed some slack, they were pulled VERY tight. After giving them more slack inside of their zip-ties, and pushing the connectors in tight, all seemed to be fine.

Thanks for the input, hopefully this thread will help someone else that is having a similar issue with gauge issues.

Considering how easy removing the cluster was I'm not considering replacing the stock green bulbs with RED ones. I'll take that discussion to one of the FAQs on it, etc.. Thanks again for all your help, glad I could get this fixed.

Glad to hear you got the problems solved.

Good luck with the light replacement, my friend just changed to bright blue and it looks great.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.