Zmax
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Zmax within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok maybe I need more sleep but here we go. I am sure you have all seen the infomericals for ...

Zmax

Ok maybe I need more sleep but here we go. I am sure you have all seen the infomericals for Zmax. Any one know if that stuff works?http://www.aplustvproducts.com/Automotive/zmax.asp

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok. Here is what I know.

-ZMAX has a lawsuite against them.
    -A friend used it and says it works.
    -The car can last a lifetime without ever touching any additives.

I wont use the stuff cuz its probably BS and the car has no use for it anyways. RESTORE is a popular product that actually works, but if the car runs better with it then it means you have problems with the engine and its only a temporary solution. MUGEN also released its own oil additive... that I would trust. (for hondas only though) Now if STi released an oil additive, then it'd probably be worth checking out.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

Marketing spin from their website:

zMax Power System soaks into metals with its micro lubricating molecules for increased horsepower, reduced fuel consumption, and decreased emissions.
    As somebody with an engineering degree in metallurgy, this first paragraph alone would steer me away from ever using this product.

-Pace

Originally posted by pace
    Marketing spin from their website:

As somebody with an engineering degree in metallurgy, this first paragraph alone would steer me away from ever using this product.

-Pace
    why? please explain
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

They claim that the 'system soaks into metals'. I hope they are trying to communicate that it simply coats engine components and does a good job of moving into the interfaces between distinct components to form a lubricating film. If any of the metallics used in our engines have a surface porosity that will permit molecular inclusion of lubricating fluids, then I would say that the relative merit of engine additives such as this is the least of our concerns.

Next time your oil level is low, just remember that it's because it got 'soaked up' by your [insert metallic component of choice here].

Just my 2c.

-Pace

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, their commercial imples that is "soaks" is at a molecular level - that is, the zmax molecules are smaller than the spaces between the metal molecules. You're right, probably a bunch of bovine doo-doo.

Remember that the big oil companies (and even the smaller niche ones like Redline and Amsoil) invest millions and even billions in R&D. These companies know how to properly lubricate a motor. Thes companies with their infomercials may be on to something, but likely they're selling snake oil!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by pace

Next time your oil level is low, just remember that it's because it got 'soaked up' by your [insert metallic component of choice here].

Just my 2c.

-Pace
    Yeah. I think that oil soak is the reason why I have to keep adding a quart of oil a month to my old Chevy pick up. Now if I can just figure out what's causing that dark spot on my driveway.....

Alin

I bought it and ran it for the hell of it in the WRX. No change. I would never do it again. But, my reasoning was that if the FAA aproves it, it has to be some good ish, because the are very restrictive on what you can run in an aircraft engine.

Andy

I believe the FAA approved Linkite(sp?) which Zmax lists as one of their ingredients.

Alin

Yes, that is the key ingredient. The Linkyte (?spelling) soaks into the metal!

Andy

They are also under investigation by the FTC. They claim all the Zmax additives are mineral oil mixed with a dye to give it color.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm
    Thanks,
    Ali

Originally posted by ProdriveMS

Yeah. I think that oil soak is the reason why I have to keep adding a quart of oil a month to my old Chevy pick up. Now if I can just figure out what's causing that dark spot on my driveway.....

Alin
    LOL

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.