Redline 5w-30 oil or Mobil1?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Redline 5w-30 oil or Mobil1? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone here use Redline oil? Are they any good for our Subbie? Cause my STi is about to hit 3,000 ...

Redline 5w-30 oil or Mobil1?

Anyone here use Redline oil? Are they any good for our Subbie? Cause my STi is about to hit 3,000 miles and im not sure which syn. oil to use... Mobil1 or Redline? Or maybe best to wait till 6-9k miles then switch to syn. oil? Sorry for this newbee questions.
    '90 CRX Si (rip)
    '00 civic Si (rip)
    '02 EP3 Si
    '05 WRX Sti (Stocker)
    Dam I love 'S' 'i' and now the "T" is in the middle I even love it more!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Either one. Decide on price if you'd like. I don't have experience with the RL, just AMSoil.

Switch when ever, it doesn't matter.

I'm a big fan of Mobil 1. Started using it in racing engines about 25 years ago and haven't heard a good argument against it yet. It's important to get that first fill of oil out soon, that's why the first change is scheduled at 3,000 miles, while the regular interval is 7500. You will actually get some desirable wear when your engine is first used: the rings lap the cylinder walls, bearing surfaces polish, etc. So you need to get that extra-dirty oil out. Don't wait.

Thanks for the reply.
    '90 CRX Si (rip)
    '00 civic Si (rip)
    '02 EP3 Si
    '05 WRX Sti (Stocker)

I Support ClubWRX
    Mobil 1 rules...but I'm sure the Redline is OK as well. I'm a big fan of Mobil 1 5W-30 in my Rex.

In that case I will stick with the Redline oil for my Honda and Mobil1 for the Subbie.
    Thanks guys!
    '90 CRX Si (rip)
    '00 civic Si (rip)
    '02 EP3 Si
    '05 WRX Sti (Stocker)

How often do you guys change your mobil 1?
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by perfusionista
    I'm a big fan of Mobil 1. Started using it in racing engines about 25 years ago and haven't heard a good argument against it yet.
    I agree. We stopped using Amsoil and Redline in our Race engines because they were getting burnt and losing viscosity easily. We have had nothing but good luck with the Mobil-1
    Last edited by Trainrex; 10-28-2004 at 07:57 AM.

i use mobil

Quote Originally Posted by zapman
    How often do you guys change your mobil 1?
    i change at 7500 mile intervals, which is around every 2 months.

another newbie question

I drive about 3000 miles every 2 months. Should I go with regular 5-30w or switch to Mobile 1? I drive a 04' wrx with about 4k miles on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Behold:
    Synthetic oil data: Mobil 1 used in 2.0L stock motor
    I've settled on that for my car and at this point, 2 changes in, my consumption has gone from ~300 ml per 5,000 miles or less to no consumption at all detectable on the dipstick at 5,200 miles.

It's hard to go terribly wrong with the other stuff people mention here either IMO:
    Oil Change
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I use Castrol Syntec and it works out fine for me too.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

i change my synthetic Mobil 1 every 3k miles on normal driving and sometimes a tad bit earlier if i have been driving hard (track days or drag passes)
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

I Support ClubWRX
    At 3K miles you are wasting very good oil, especially if most motorsport use is drag racing. You might want to re-use some of it in other motors - an old lawnmower, small gas tractor or something like that. I use my 5,000-mile-old M1 5W-40 (read: Delvac1 repackaged) oil in my lawnmower and still feel bad about the rest that I take in for recycling. My data (link above) shows the oil is good for over 7,500 miles and probably fine to 10,000 with my use patterns. If you are going hot laps on a road track a few weekends every oil change interval you might want to look at 3,750 to 5,000 mile intervals IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.