Subaru wont touch my slipping clutch until i replace TBE?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Subaru wont touch my slipping clutch until i replace TBE? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 03 wrx and the clutch is slipping pretty severly. i took it in today to have it ...

Subaru wont touch my slipping clutch until i replace TBE?

i have a 03 wrx and the clutch is slipping pretty severly. i took it in today to have it looked at and the mechanic confirmed my analysis (they didnt the first time ). insted of begining work (i assume they are covering it) i get a call that says they can't do the job untill i replace my catless system (helix dp an borsal cat back) for one with a cat because reassembleing the car without it would be illegal. this sound fairly reasonable, but i bought the car with a TBE already installed. so, now i have to scramble to find the necessary part.
    Is the only cat containing part the down pipe (up pipe still stock)? will the stock downpipe fit my borsal exhaust?
    i only need to get it home, so i can switch it back, is there a cheaper and dirtier method im over looking. i just want them to touch my stuff as little as possible. i really dont trust their mechanics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

That's just retarded. I've never heard of a "we'll fix it if you return ____ to stock" situation. Tell them politely that your exhaust has nothing to do with your clutch slipping and that you had a TBE installed for "off-highway use" (where it's legal).

I still fail to grasp how a Subaru warranty can be in jeopardy because of removing spongy crap from metal tubes - a GOOD thing for the car.

it is illegal for them to KNOWINGLY put a catless system on a car.

the bosal has the shorty DP so replace the stock midpipe which shouldnt take much time at all and take it in like that.

also, if you ave the stock UP arent you catted still? are you suer its still stock?
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

I Support ClubWRX
    Ooops, sorry I sort of missed the part about reassembling it with the TBE. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gusto
    it is illegal for them to KNOWINGLY put a catless system on a car.

the bosal has the shorty DP so replace the stock midpipe which shouldnt take much time at all and take it in like that.

also, if you ave the stock UP arent you catted still? are you suer its still stock?
    it looks stock, i havent taken it off to verify it but i believe it to be.
    that means that my turbo functions are catted but not the NA operation.
    i kinda had that initial "well **** you for making it more difficult than it needs to be" but given SOA's attitude twards mods they could probably deny any coverage at all.
    so, if i understand correctly the stock exhaust has 2 cats. one on the downpipe and one in the mid pipe.
    if i replace the borsal mid pipe with the stock one i will have one functional cat making it legal to work on?
    is there anything in emissions laws about removing some cats from a multi-catted car or does it go, 'if its got one your doing your part'
    i need fule incase they try any more bull****.

tan
    There's a 3rd one in the uppipe.

Technically tampering with any one of the 3 cats is illegal.

The shop is protecting their asses, since they are liable.

P.S. TBE...does increase power, thus load on the clutch and tranny...so technically your warranty would have been voided. They are giving you the chance, since clutch replacement is not cheap, and is labor intensive (about 8 hours X the labor rate).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.