87 Octane Question - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 87 Octane Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a little experience with Sunoco that I would like to share with everyone. One night we were running ...

I have a little experience with Sunoco that I would like to share with everyone. One night we were running the dyno late into the night. The fuel we were running was Ammoco 93(the clear stuff). Well we ran out and had one of the new guys run out for some. the Ammoco station wasn't open so he got the next best thing, Sunnoco 94. Now Sunnoco runs 10% alcohol in all of their grades. When we started running the motor with the Sunnoco,we lost 3-5 hp on average. We reset timing, retuned the fuel maps and after optimizing everything we were still down 3hp from the previous runs. The temperature or barametric pressure didn't change much in the lab going from one fuel to another although the dyno converts to SAE Corrected hp and torqe anyway.

Anyway, take that experience as you wish. As for me, I stay away from Sunoco from now on. Just figured I would share with everyone.

Alin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by pace
    I agree. It sounds as though your car is doing fine, but I don't know how heavily/lightly modified it is..? If this happened to me, I'd baby the car down to 3/4 tank and then get some 100 octane race gas in there.

Alternatively, syphon that cr*p outta there. A mouthful of gasoline is an experience you will never forget, and is better than the most potent mouthwash that your dentist will ever recommend.

-Pace
    Just make sure you don't smoke after spitting it out
    Thanks,
    Ali

How can i test the Octane of the Fuel?
    Here in Brazil the best fuel says that have 91 octane but i doubt it.
    How can i confirm?
    Would it be good to buy a lot of octane boosters and putting them every time you refuel??
    Thanks
    Tuca

Originally posted by tuca33
    How can i test the Octane of the Fuel?
    Here in Brazil the best fuel says that have 91 octane but i doubt it.
    How can i confirm?
    Would it be good to buy a lot of octane boosters and putting them every time you refuel??
    Thanks
    Tuca
    I believe that you need relatively sophisticated lab equipment to measure octane of a gasoline sample.

In Brazil, is your gasoline octane specified as the MON or RON method? This information may be specified on the pump, or else you should seek information with the appropriate regulatory body (if there is one).

-Pace

Octane booster

I would not recommend using octane booster on a continuous basis. It may have its benefits for emissions testing...or if you had to fill with low grade fuel occasionally. As far as adding with every tank full your asking for trouble. Octane booster will harden seals and casue them to crack prematurly with consistant use.

94 octane in full tank okie?

I've been staying in Whistler, Canada for awhile now. I need to know if it is ok to use 94 octane in full tank since I have been using 92. Thanks.

WRXGOOOooooo

I had some moron put 87 in my tank once. All NJ stations are full serve. Stay out of the boost until 3/4 tank, get 94 ASAP. Then run to a half tank and get 93 octane. Stay on 93 after that. With this method, it should take about 500 miles to get back pure 93 octane in the tank.

-Jim

Originally posted by ProdriveMS
    Anyway, take that experience as you wish. As for me, I stay away from Sunoco from now on. Just figured I would share with everyone.
    Alin
    That just ruined my morning, j/k. I'm interested in your findings since I run Sunoco 94 almost exclusively. I thought they only ran alcohol as an oxygenate for winter fuel. I think most other places around here use MTBE as the oxygenate.

I was also under the impression that service stations on the East and West coast only used MTBE. Service stations in the central US use alcohol due the availability of alcohol producing grain.

I would like anyone who has more info on this topic to chime in. There's no need for me to be spending $1.13/gallon for a fuel thats robbing power. Even though you were down a few horsepower you didnt mention any knock. Maybe thats the tradeoff, you could have possibly ran more timing/ less fuel. Thoughts?
    Last edited by JRod; 10-30-2003 at 05:28 AM.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumWRX View Post
    I had some moron put 87 in my tank once. All NJ stations are full serve. Stay out of the boost until 3/4 tank, get 94 ASAP. Then run to a half tank and get 93 octane. Stay on 93 after that. With this method, it should take about 500 miles to get back pure 93 octane in the tank.

-Jim
    I just had a moron put 87 in my tank this morning. $15 until i caught his F UP which is about 5 gallons. I put two bottles of lucas oil octane booster. Hopefully Ill be putting some 106 in tonight
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I have heard, but not confirmed, that our cars have a drain plug on the gas tank. Might want to check that out, and if it's there, drain the crap gas and fill it up with premium.

If it's not there, just siphon it out.

Don't try to turn your gas tank and car into a chemistry lab by pouring chemicals and solvents in there. Trying to concoct a witches brew might do more harm than just driving like a grandma until the bad gas is burned out.

BTW, octane boosters don't really do a damn thing. It's been said before, and it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
    yup...it's true...just don't run it too much....the chemical tends to dry out the rubber in the fuel lines.
    thats totally ryt... the safe mix is 20% tol to the amount of fuel you have..

Nice dead thread

I would syphone the gas and give to my moms sonota
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

I Support ClubWRX
    Way to bump a five year old thread.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

well the other night i bought some 104 and 109 and the car seems to be running ok. I reset the ecu and flashed the married stock mode. Ill just drive normally untill the next tank just to play it safe
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcelration View Post
    well the other night i bought some 104 and 109 and the car seems to be running ok. I reset the ecu and flashed the married stock mode. Ill just drive normally untill the next tank just to play it safe
    good luck with that
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.