Squealing/chirping A/C belt.. how to fix?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Squealing/chirping A/C belt.. how to fix? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My A/C belt is squealing (*really* loud) on cold starts + acceleration. I took my subie in today to Mastro ...

Squealing/chirping A/C belt.. how to fix?

My A/C belt is squealing (*really* loud) on cold starts + acceleration. I took my subie in today to Mastro for my 7500 mile maintenance and they told me they refitted a loose belt. On the way home the belt squealed again... once you get to cruising speed it just chirps once in a while.

Could someone kindly explain to a non-mechanically inclined person what causes this and how I can fix it myself? Mastro is a 1.5h drive away for me.

thank you kindly!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow, it really shouldn't be doing that. Unfortunately you're going to be best off going to the dealer. If the belt was tightened, and still chirped there might be something more serious wrong.

What kind of retards screw up a belt tension on a Subaru. I had my crank pulley off and had to retension both belts. IT'S CAKE. I'd tell you how to do it, but they FUNKED IT UP, so take it to the dealer and make a stink!!!!

-Jim

Or, what Jim said. They're stupid.

:(

It's really too bad. They seem like very competent folks over at Mastro. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

The problem is that they would have been unable to recreate the problem since the loud squealing really only happens on cold starts. Leaving the car at the dealer overnight isn't an option for me since they are out of town.

You're right though, I need to bring it to their attention. I'm just not looking forward to heading back to Tampa to get a belt tensioned properly.

From my invoice:

"CUSTOMER REQUEST TO CHECK A/C BELT NOISE ON COLD STARTS INSPECTED AND FOUND A/C BELT LOOSE ADJUSTED OK"

Is there any way that the A/C belt tension could be correct and yet the car still squeals?

Is this a common problem?

The AC clutch might be bad, but I'd throw some good ole fashion fan belt dressing on there and see if it helps. Should be a spray can for $2 at Pepboys.

-Jim

Mastro called back

So I put some belt dressing on all the belts, no luck. I'll put on my second application today... in moderation.

Mastro gave me a follow up call on my service (I paid $83 for my 7500 mile maintenance) and I told them the problem wasn't fixed. They've scheduled another appointment for me to just replace the belt entirely, since replicating the problem is impossible unless I leave the car there overnight (which is not an option).

All's well that ends well I guess. I was just about to try putting some teflon spray on the pulley axles.

thanks for your suggestions, jim + thechickencow

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.