Engine is slow to turn over when starting... at 26,000 miles...?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Engine is slow to turn over when starting... at 26,000 miles...? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what i might be able to look into or clean or flush ...

Engine is slow to turn over when starting... at 26,000 miles...?

just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what i might be able to look into or clean or flush or hit with a hammer to get my car back to the way it was when i first bought it. the engine always turns over and it doesnt take a long time, but it does take longer than it used to and i'm not sure what might be contributing to that...
    thanks in advance,
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How does it turn over slow? You turn the key and it hesitates before it starts?

Have you put new plugs in your car lately? Have you installed a new fuel filter yet? Those could be 2 major causes. Also, everytime your about to start it, turn the key but not all the way on. This will turn on the fuel pump and fill up all of the fuel lines. Then start it and it should start right away. My WRX had the same problem. It would hesitate before starting unless I turned on the fuel pump first and then started it.

it just takes a more than a few turns these days before the engine actually starts up. i havent noticed a delay between when i turn the key and when it begins to turn over.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    it just takes a more than a few turns these days before the engine actually starts up. i havent noticed a delay between when i turn the key and when it begins to turn over.
    o-|-<) bryan
    Have you done a tune up yet? Spark plugs wear out.

Have you changed your fuel filter yet? Restriction to gas means hard to start.

Have you replaced your air filter yet? No air means no start.

I know these are simpleton questions, but I need to know info to help you out.

this is the info i was looking for. since i'm coming up on 30k in a couple months, i'm due for some maintenence. i changed my air filter at 15,000 and will do it again at 30,000. i havent changed my plugs or fuel filter, which i didnt think i'd need to do yet.
    it might also be that the past few mornings have been considerably colder and my car just doesnt like it as much.
    o-|-<) bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    it might also be that the past few mornings have been considerably colder and my car just doesnt like it as much.
    o-|-<) bryan
    That could also be a contributing factor. Especially if you have thick oil in your motor. Change your plugs and fuel filter and see if it remedies the problem. I would.

My car has taken 3-4 cranks before it starts since I bought it, whereas my other vehicles have always started right away. I was assuming this was normal for the WRX but was planning to address it next time I'm at the dealership just to make sure. Does everyone's car start right away or is a few cranks normal? I just turned 7,000 miles.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

Mine normally takes a couple turns before it will crank. Sometimes I'll have to crank it a second time if it wont catch.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

Maybe it could be the stock battery, which seems to have about 3 cold cranking amps?

does it only do it when you start it for the first time you start it each day? i second that its porpably the battery thats at fault, try putting in another battery that you know is good, the sign of a dying battery is; its hard to start it for the first time but once your car charges it is fine for a while and then dies again. It could be the alternator but you always replace the battery becasue its obviously much cheaper(and your car is new). You could also check the voltage with the voltmeter but a simple battery swap will do if you don't have a meter handy. Colder weather also kills power so its propably more pronounced, and its a sign of battery wear.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

I noticed this too after 26,000 and I have installed new plugs,battery,fuel filter,oil ect... .. it used to be first click then boom it would start.. now its click click boom sometimes even 3 clicks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.