Synchromesh

This is a discussion on Synchromesh within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was reading in THIS THREAD about the tranny fluid "cocktail." I asked this question, but didn't get a response. ...

Synchromesh

I was reading in THIS THREAD about the tranny fluid "cocktail." I asked this question, but didn't get a response. So, I decided to start a new thread!

I went to Advance Auto parts a while back to get some oil and tranny fluid... They had the Penzoil Synchromesh, but they didn't have any Valvoline 75w-90. All they had was Valvoline "Durablend" 80w-90, and Mobil1 synthetic 75w-90. I didn't really want to use either one because, from what I've read, the Valvoline 75w-90 dino is the best stuff to use with the Synchromesh.

So, here's my question:
    My car only has a little over 8,500 miles on it. Would it be okay for me to just drain a quart of what's in there (stock/factory fluid), and replace it with one quart of Synchromesh, or should I wait until I change it all with Valvoline 75w-90 dino?

Thanks!
    -Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone?

I'm going to try and do it this weekend if I find out it's going to be okay.
    -Lee

I Support ClubWRX
    <- Subscribitated!

I'd also love to change tranny fluid if it means goodness for my car and smoother shifts...too bad straight synthetic doesn't seem to work very well.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    I don't see any reason you couldn't. I''ve read about people just putting a couple ounces of the synchromesh into their resevoir with stock fluid still in it and they said it made a positive difference with no ill effects.

The only hard part might be getting just 1 quart of fluid out. From what I've read, it's pretty important that you have 3.7 quarts in there; no more, no less. My .02
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    <- Subscribitated!

I'd also love to change tranny fluid if it means goodness for my car and smoother shifts...too bad straight synthetic doesn't seem to work very well.
    Same for me. Even with the synthetic my synchros have taken a poop.

(he he Lee.....I said poop too!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Same for me. Even with the synthetic my synchros have taken a poop.

(he he Lee.....I said poop too!!!)
    Cool. Thanks guys! I may get a quart jar somewhere and see if I can get a quart out. If not, I'll just go get some Valvoline dino and replace it all. I'm thinking I can just back the drain plug out until it starts to come out really slowly. I may be able to get a single quart out that way. We'll see!

Poop!
    -Lee

i went ahead and used mobile 1 (1.5 quarts) and 2 quarts of synchromesh... but i was lazy adn took it to avislube to have them change it... they went crazy trying to warn me that mixing tranny fluids would mess something up, especially the synchromesh... they even called a tranny shop and had someone say that it wasn't good for any trannys other than GM...

oh and only biggest difference i've noticed since i've changed it.... no grinding period...

also i went with the mobile 1.. for the bearings and synchromesh for the synchros... *Shrugs* or atleast thats what i was going for...