Worried about 2nd and 3rd gear in WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Worried about 2nd and 3rd gear in WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Guys: I was about to buy a wrx a few weeks ago, but a few concerns have come to my ...

Unhappy Worried about 2nd and 3rd gear in WRX

Guys: I was about to buy a wrx a few weeks ago, but a few concerns have come to my attn. First I'm worried about the trany! It seems that the problems with 2nd and 3rd gear are not issolated cases, but common problems for may WRX owners. My next concern is the pre catalytic converters that have been breaking up and sending chunks through the turbo. As WRX owners yourselves, I would verymuch appreciate feedback. Thanks for your time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, maybe better for a different section, but tranny failures have generally been due to abuse, and the pre-cat thing is jsut a fear. I don't think anybody has had one actually come apart even on modded motors.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Don't assume all the tranny problems were due to abuse. The majority is a good probability, but don't assume that they were all due to abuse.

Your tranny if you buy one now (assuming it will be a '03) will be different and slightly improved if the word on the street is correct. If not, I still think the tranny problem has to do more with the way the person shifts than the actual driving that is done. Its easy to say you rev match every downshift, but if you're banging into 2nd gear hard everytime you start rolling you're going to hurt 2nd gear.

The pre-cat is IMO a made up problem to justify replacing the uppipe with a catless one. IF it happened I don't think it would happen for a very long time.

my $.02.

J

I think first gear will break if you consistently drop the clutch from near redline with low tire pressure/no wheel spin. I have seen the broken gear at the dealer but I think it was an extreme case of abuse. Check out the other car forums like acura and you'll find the same problems and concerns. A good friend of mine worked at acura for years as a service advisor and he saw a lot of street racer guys with GS-Rs and Type Rs coming through the service dept. with stripped gears and such. I certainly wouldn't say the WRX transmission is "glass" but it's not indestructable either. I would guess that most of the transmission problems are related to driver skill or the lack of.

Regarding the pre-cat in the up-pipe, I was told by one of the techs at cobb tuning that the catalyst is metal and after having the up-pipe replaced and looking down into the old up-pipe, the catalyst sure appears to be made of metal. I think it's highly unlikely that the precat will ever pose a problem. BTW, I didn't throw a CEL until I removed this cat. Prior to this I had the TurboXS turboback exhaust. I'm not sure if the gains were worth it. The PEP mil elim seems to have cured the CEL. Back to the precat, I think some people are thinking of the old ceramic cats that could be broken up with a screwdriver. I wouldn't know anything about that! The catalyst in my old '83 subie GL just "fell out" on it's own.....
    Mark
    02 WRX Wagon

I've had no problems with any of my gears. I have 4k+ miles on my car.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

mines been shifting weird since I put my BOV valve on... prolly just because the turbo isnt staying spooled and I just have to shift quicker heh!! My second gear is a pain in the ass though as well. 1st is hard to get into sometimes unless your almost stopped, so I generally never try unless I am stopped...Seems like the engagment between 1st and 2nd takes more practice to get smooth than any other engagement for me...just my .2
    95' Eclipse GST
    FP green
    720's

02' WRX
    TurboXS Stage 2 w/Blitz SUS

I know you probably do not want to hear this, but I would lose the BOV especially if it is a "vent to atomosphere" model. Even TurboXS, who makes a number of BOV's and who could stand to make more money by adding a BOV to there staged packages, does not because they admit the stock BOV is excellent. Regarding first gear, mine was stubborn for a while but now at 20,000 miles the stubborness seems to have disappeared. I think 2nd gear causes grief when you "get on it" and shift early, hitting 2nd gear below boost. It bogs and can cause an unsettling thud in the driveline. Yikes!
    Last edited by mark5211; 09-14-2002 at 09:00 AM.
    Mark
    02 WRX Wagon

Yep took to RFL off today and car is back to normal. MAN WAS IT A ***** to get the freaking stock dumb-tube back into the rubber hose coming from the intake. I literally spent 2 hours trying to get the damn clamp over the dumb tube!!!

Finally I drilled a hole into the end of the spring clamp, opened it up as far as possible, then wrapped wire through to hold the clamp open. I then slipped it over the rubber intake hose, put the dump tube from BOV back in, slid the clamp back up and cut the wire! Voila! Finally.... has anyone else tried putting the stock BOV back on and wasted their Saturday?!?! Or am I just a moron?
    95' Eclipse GST
    FP green
    720's

02' WRX
    TurboXS Stage 2 w/Blitz SUS

The thing I hate is going into rev. This happened three times already. I go to go into rev and the gears grind, like i do not have the clutch engaged. So, I have to take my foot off the clucth and try again. It alwaysworks the second time around. Now, that is quriky...
    Go fast...

2002 WRX PLATINUM SILVER
    SHORT THROW SHIFTER
    TURBO GAUGE
    WING
    ALL THE REST IS FILLING.....

No synchro on reverse is the reason why it grinds. I do feel though that it is not a nice reverse.

I agree, reverse is normally a problem to get into. I can see the reverse lights come on behind me, but I can tell its not in reverse. So I let up the clutch and try it again and it will slip in. But I think anyone that watches me try to back out of a spot must think Im a retard!
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

Like my freind who drives an 89 notchback LX once said, "If you cant find it - grind it..."

try an awd 3000 rpm "reverse launch" in a parking lot, listen for noises, write back

yes i am an @$$hole

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.