silverstar H1=junk

This is a discussion on silverstar H1=junk within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well, my first mod when i bought my 04 was clearing the headlights. when it was all said and done ...

silverstar H1=junk

well, my first mod when i bought my 04 was clearing the headlights. when it was all said and done the pass. side lowbeam didnt work. so i dropped 40 bucks on a pair of sylvania silverstars. i was very pleased with the way they produced the not so yellow light. 5 weeks later the driver side goes out, i got a ticket driving home. i replaced it and that was that. 3 weeks later the pass. side goes out, got a ticket driving home. so i changed my game plan today and replaced both low beams with standard sylvania OEM h1 bulbs. so my headlights dont have that cool look to them any more but atleast they both work, not sure how long though. im just wondering if i got a bad batch of bulbs, or if there is a problem in the H1 style. ive read that that is a common foglight bulb, maybe im putting to much wattage through them? im sure i didnt touch either of the bulbs when i replaced them, which would shorten the life of them. also, H1 bulbs are pretty darn hard to find, seems like places will be lucky to have just one in stock. i guess thats all i got to complain about, any body else going through silverstars that quick?
    04 silver bone stock(for now)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    I have ran Cool Blue H7 for 3 months until they burned out. Of course I have DRLs.

I'm taking a risk on Sylvania Silverstar H7...and according to the sylvania website, they should last even shorter. http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...on/default.htm

If you want brighter bulbs....

www.powerbulbs.com and check out the Osram Silverstar (different from Sylvania Silverstar)

Yeah the US Silverstars suck. Go to www.powerbulbs.co.uk or www.suvlights.com and get some Osram Silverstars. Generally considered the best stock wattage bulbs out there. Color-wise, it wont be blue or whatever, but you can be sure it's brighter and it will last.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tan
    I have ran Cool Blue H7 for 3 months until they burned out. Of course I have DRLs.

I'm taking a risk on Sylvania Silverstar H7...and according to the sylvania website, they should last even shorter. http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...on/default.htm

If you want brighter bulbs....

www.powerbulbs.com and check out the Osram Silverstar (different from Sylvania Silverstar)
    Tan,

You mentioned these bulbs in a SilverStar / PIAA post I started a while back. Did you buy from the UK site you provided the hyperlink for? Any problems?

i had a similar problem and it was a bad QC issue on teh manf. part.

even spent 85$ getting my electrical diagnosed. what a waste! just bad bulbs.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

PIAA is the way to go. Sure they're pricey, but they'll light up your world! I've got 2 years on my "Ion Gold" fog bulbs, which I keep on with my headlights, so they see plenty of duty. Have yet to replace one. I'm a convert.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

I installed some silverstars for my edm lights on the driver side about 1 1/2 months ago. No problems here. I also have raybrigs and they're awesome. The driver side lasted about 14 months and I'm still running the raybrigs on the passenger side.

I've had the same pair of PIAA Head Lights in my Grand Am for the better part of 3 years now. PIAA is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZim63
    PIAA is the way to go. Sure they're pricey, but they'll light up your world! I've got 2 years on my "Ion Gold" fog bulbs, which I keep on with my headlights, so they see plenty of duty. Have yet to replace one. I'm a convert.
    You should never use fogs unless the visibility is bad. Basically having a bright patch of light right in front of the car makes it more difficult to see into the distance. If you want the full explanation I can really bore you with the neuro-physiology.

I'm with you on PIAA, though. I use their "Xtreme White" 9007 bulbs in my '02 and have been very satisfied, got 30,000 miles on, lot of night driving.

OMG! i just got a set of H1ST from GI Joe and replaced with the stock ones. in day light, i saw the H1ST is much brighter than the stock ones. i hope i won't need to replace them 3 months later.
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

tan
    forget the tinted Sylvania Silverstars crap....

Get Osram Silverstar from www.powerbulbs.co.uk

Syvlania Silverstars start out as Osram Silverstar, then gets the tint.

Osrams are brighter...and a tad yellower. For about the same price...you get a better bulb

..and powerbulbs gives you a free set of Phillips BlueVision W5W bulbs with the order

OMG! They burn out after 3 months. now i need to get osram silverstars! damn...

ray

Quote Originally Posted by WRayX
    OMG! i just got a set of H1ST from GI Joe and replaced with the stock ones. in day light, i saw the H1ST is much brighter than the stock ones. i hope i won't need to replace them 3 months later.
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic