Replacement interval for PCV Valve

This is a discussion on Replacement interval for PCV Valve within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My dealer just completed the 30k mile service on my 02' WRX. The service manager told me they could not ...

Question Replacement interval for PCV Valve

My dealer just completed the 30k mile service on my 02' WRX. The service manager told me they could not replace the PCV valve (as recommended without removing the Turbo assembly. To do so would have added considerably more to the total bill for the service -- so he opted not to replace the PCV. Frankly, I don't see that Subaru mentions the replacement of the PCV in the online maintenance schedule (at least not at the 30k mile interval).

Does anyone know how frequently the PCV should be replaced on a 2002 WRX? Also, please advise me if it is necessary (as the service manager claims) to remove the Turbo assembly to do replace the PCV.

I will appreciate any advise you can offer.
    Stu

2002 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Normally, it's recommended that you get the PCV breather filter changed every 30k, but the PCV breather comes off a hose attached to the intake on the WRX. Thus, no filter change necessary at 30k.

The valve itself should only be replaced if it's broken. It's easy to check it. Just shake the valve and if you can hear the ball inside (it's a spring/ball valve), you need to replace it.

As far as having to take the turbo off: I'm not exactly sure where the PCV valve is, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the turbo. The valve should be in a hose that runs from the inlet tube (attached to the turbo) to the crankcase, or on the crankcase itself. Unless Subaru decided to put it in the most inconvenient place possible, there should be no reason to remove the turbo to check it.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

PCV Valve Replacement

Thank you for the advice
    Stu

2002 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red

OK

1. We always replaced the valves on cars at 30k miles at my dealer.

2. If you shake a brand new one you hear the ball in there - so I dont think that means its broken.

3. You do NOT have to take off the turbo - but you do have to take off the intercooler. Idk why he would say not to do this - it takes about 15 minutes.

4. Im not aware of a breather filter - where is it located?

Joe
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

Do I smell a tutorial?
    I'm over 30K and that's something that wasn't done at dealer service.

Theres already a thread about this - but all you have to do is remove the intercooler and look right under the throttle body - youll see a molded hose. Just pull it loose and theres the valve. You take it off with a deep 19mm socket and put the new one in (not too tight - not all of the threads will go in) then just put the hose back and youre done.

joe
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

Originally posted by NJSubieTech
    OK

1. We always replaced the valves on cars at 30k miles at my dealer.

2. If you shake a brand new one you hear the ball in there - so I dont think that means its broken.

3. You do NOT have to take off the turbo - but you do have to take off the intercooler. Idk why he would say not to do this - it takes about 15 minutes.

4. Im not aware of a breather filter - where is it located?

Joe
    Where is this breather filter? Is it a part of the PCV?
    Thanks,
    Ali

As far as I know, there's no "breather filter" on the PCV valve on a WRX. The PCV is connected to the inlet pipe, which is a source of filtered air.