my first WRX oil change
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on my first WRX oil change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; SO my WRX hit 3K miles. I figure I'll change my oil cause that's how I was raised. I'm saving ...

my first WRX oil change

SO my WRX hit 3K miles. I figure I'll change my oil cause that's how I was raised. I'm saving switching to synthetic till my next change (seems to be a consensus from this board).

I bought a Bosch filter and Valvoline 10-30 oil. I use to drive a Ford pick-up before, so I couldn't believe how small these filters were. I got an adjustable do-hicky w/ 3 clamping arms for the filter.

Did anybody else have trouble getting the bolt off? I almost gave up and considered taking her in. Once I got the bolt loose, the oil came out clean, but I could feel some metal shavings ( got me wishing I had changed earlier).

Getting the filter off was a pain also...the location is close and convenient, but I was having quite a difficult time clamping on and turning. When it came time to put the new one on, I pretty much gave up using the clamp. I just turned the thing on by hand. Seemed tight enough.

As for filling up the oil...I had a 5 liter jug which I pretty much emptied. I know it's suppose to be less, but checking the dip stick, like 5 times, I think I was able to get it just below the "F" hole.

I've changed the oil in my truck a whole lot...I don't know how precise the amount of oil needs to be. Can someone let me know if I did something heinous here?

Still learning...

dan.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like you did everything right, Dan.

I hear 'ya on the filter location. It'd probably be a lot easier to get to it if you take off that plastic undertray thing, but that's extra labor in itself so it wouldn't save any time. I use one of those strap things where you put the cloth strap on the filter and tighten that with the metal part which you attach your ratchet to, then turn it. Got it for my motorcycles but it works okay on the car too.

The manual says to turn the filter 2/3 of a full turn after your seal makes contact with the filter housing. Well, that's pretty much equal to how far you can hand-tighten it, so what you did is fine.
    Old, but not slow.

You should never tighten your oil filter with any kind of tool. Hand tight is the rule!

-Jim

Thanks for setting my mind at ease...I log about 100 miles on my daily commute, so oil changing will be like once a month. PlatWRX, didn't know about the hand-tight filter thing...hey, it makes my life easier!

BTW, I have this board up almost all day at work...I like the way people provide solid feedback and also the casual conversations. It encourages me to post more often.

Hope to know all of yoos better,

dan.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

HOLY GEEZ! Ok, so I did my first oil change today. My GAWD was the plug AND filter hard as ANYTHING to get off! But, alas, my brute strength conqured lol Oil changed, in the process of doing the grounding mod and scoop mesh!
    2005 Forrester XT premium

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL. I'm not sure if they use a robot or a Sumo to tighten those things at the factory!

I use a bigass channel-lock to get my filter off.

Just 2/3 of a turn after the gasket contacts the mount hand tightening. In high school my best friend was a football player. Big black guy, about 6'0" 230 pounds, 5% body fat. Fullback. We were changing the oil on his car and he hand tightened the filter - only he twisted it so far with his huge hand that he blew the gasket off the filter! It just squeezed out the side. Lucky he didn't strip the threads off of the mount! We had to take it back and get a new one. The parts guy was like "gee, I never saw that happen before!". LOL

Just about emptying a 5 gallon jug is about right. 4.7 qt. Or is it 4.8? I forget - I keep it written on my garage's white board.

Chris
    Last edited by GV27; 12-31-2002 at 10:33 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by QuickSilver

BTW, I have this board up almost all day at work...I like the way people provide solid feedback and also the casual conversations. It encourages me to post more often.

Hope to know all of yoos better,

dan.
    Addicting, ain't it?
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I've never done an oil change on any car before, but i want to start doing them on this one. Do you have to change the oil filter when you change the oil? What kind of oil do you recommend? I'll switch to synthetic at 6000 miles.
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

On my Honda, I always used OEM filters. But I'm not sure what I'm going to use on the WRX.

I use the OEM, a little expensive but they give me a new crush washer for the plug, which was not on my car from the factory.

I use the OEM, a little expensive but they give me a new crush washer for the plug, which was not on my car from the factory.
    You may want to check the oil plug next time you change your oil. The crush washer was pretty much stuck to the plug from getting painted at the factory. I had to pry it off with a screwdriver.
    2005 Forrester XT premium

The crush washer is always good to get...although I've reused them multiple times on other cars with no problem.

I gave my new 2011 rex its first oil change last nite. Next time it will only take 20 minutes. Once I figured out how to release those tricky plastic fasteners from the bottom cover, it all went well. (The center button has to pop out 1/2" before you can pry out the rest of it).

I slipped a regular filter wrench over the filter then tucked the handle over the exhaust header, which gave me about 20 degrees of swing.

What's this about not going synthetic until 2nd change? Whatever the factory had in it came out so clear I might re-use it in my truck!

At least we know the search function is working
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast