spilled radiator fluid, help!!!

This is a discussion on spilled radiator fluid, help!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i was putting in an aftermarket crank pulley, and i wanted to remove the hose coming out from the top ...

spilled radiator fluid, help!!!

i was putting in an aftermarket crank pulley, and i wanted to remove the hose coming out from the top of the radiator, bad idea, a bunch of bluish fluid came pouring out, i quickly put it back on but id say 1/2 a quart of fluid was lost - what should i do for this, is it a big deal?
    please help
    "Mike, stop spending money on your car.."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm not sure I understand your dilemma? Replace fluid lost? Wipe off excess so you don't burn off the fluid?
    2004 Subaru WRX Sti - Java Black Pearl/Silver wheels.

-Bone stock

ya im an idiot i just found where the coolant goes, just need to know what kind of fluid to get, than again thats in the manual probly

I Support ClubWRX
    If your rad fluid is blue, I've no idea where to get more.

If your fluid is green like most of us, you can either follow the manual's advice or simly top off with distilled water -- you will lower the % of antifreeze in your system but if you didn't lose a significant amount of fluid, the change in % will be negligible.

Run a search for how to burp the system, there are several posts. If you have air pockets in the system you will overheat. It takes quite a while to do this fully, so plan on spending some time on it.

Also, if you're unfamiliar with the motor bay you might look at the pdf files of the maintenance manual floating around - you will need torque figures for what you're installing anyway (I leave the reasoning behind changing the pulley out to you, though personally I'd not bother with such a thing, as more performance can be had with other mods anyway - unless of course your existing pulley has seized and needs replacement. In that case, I'd recommend a stock pulley).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

blue should be washer fluid
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

(Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?

if it was indeed your coolant, replace is and you will probably have to burb you system, otherwise your temp will read high.
    since you are in SoCal, you could replace it with water since you won't see the cold temps.

fluid

its def the "bluish greenish" antifreeze/water mix" i can add more, but is it really necessary to "blurb it"

I Support ClubWRX

Re: fluid

Originally posted by surfingguy101
    its def the "bluish greenish" antifreeze/water mix" i can add more, but is it really necessary to "blurb it"
    You mean "burp" it?

If you pulled the top hose off and replaced it, you may now end up with air bubbles in the system. You'll have to do a rudimentary "burping" anyway simply to get the correct-ish level in the system (using the usual method of topping up, running the motor uncapped until you see circulation, and adding more etc.). You could always just go for it and top up the overflow then run the motor and wait, but if it overheats you'll know why.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.