Can't Remove Oil Filter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can't Remove Oil Filter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, so it's my first oil change on my 04 WRX. I'm extremely frustrated because I CANNOT remove the oil ...

Can't Remove Oil Filter

Okay, so it's my first oil change on my 04 WRX. I'm extremely frustrated because I CANNOT remove the oil filter as hard as I try. What's weird is that the oil filter on there now is smaller in diameter than the right sized purolator. I'm probably going to have to take it into some shop and have them pry off the filter because I simply can't do it. Has anyone had this problem?
    If we wait until tomorrow...will tomorrow ever come?!?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If it absolutely won't come off by hand. Jam/Stab the filter with a screwdriver and use the leverage to get it off. Its not pretty, but it'll let you remove the old filter to put a new one on.

-Chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Sears sells an oil filter wrench with 3 arms that tightens it's grip as you try to turn it. It's never let me down. Cheap, too.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

yeah just get the filter wrench...
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

happens on my 2003 all the time I use the screw driver method every 3k miles

The screwdriver method works. You can also wrap some Duck Tape or electrical tape around it to give you a better grip.
    -Lee

Originally posted by digitalexpl0it
    happens on my 2003 all the time I use the screw driver method every 3k miles
    maybe you should put a bead of fresh oil on the rubber seal. and only hand tighten it, 1/4 turn after it stops. you should never have to screw driver anything. should always come off turning by hand.
    Definition of “rice”; to install or want items which makes the vehicle “cheesy” in appearance or in ist function. The term is more often than not used by non-Asian races. Also, the products or style used and defined as “rice” is more often than not manufactured and sported by non-Asians.

Well thank you for all the tips. I went underneath my car last night, jammed a screwdriver into the filter and gave a good turn and VOILA! I was able to remove by hand after that. I drained the oil, put in my new Fumoto valve, and filled her up. I'm hoping next time will be a lot easier. Again, thanks for all the help.

My GF's car was done by a shop, and they had it on tight, so I put on a rubber dishwashing glove to give me grip, and twisted it off with some effort.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just use a big pair of channel-lock pliers.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Just a tip for you guys. The scredriver method works but is damn messy. the channel lock pliers work but space is limited under there. My dad the mechanic gave me an interesting solution. He works on big trucks.

Try a leather belt. Slip it over and through the buckle. Then in the opposite direction, pull the belt so that it cinches the filter. pull in a circular fashion and ...woila! Filter loosens and comes off with your hand. Works in tight areas where wrenches don't reach... like those damn Acura and Honda engines.

dont know if it was you or someone else who recommended the leather belt thing to me a few months back, but when nothing else worked it did the trick. two thumbs up...
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Originally posted by Pwk0202
    Well thank you for all the tips. I went underneath my car last night, jammed a screwdriver into the filter and gave a good turn and VOILA! I was able to remove by hand after that. I drained the oil, put in my new Fumoto valve, and filled her up. I'm hoping next time will be a lot easier. Again, thanks for all the help.
    How's the Fumoto go on? Is there good ground clearance? Im always afraid that those things hang to low. I love the idea but Im always thinking about them getting knocked off by some road debris. I used to have a Fram Sure Drain on my Frontier PU and it was great.

So far the Fumoto is great. Not leaking or anything. The ground clearance is wonderful - no problem at all. So don't worry about it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by WRX05
    How's the Fumoto go on? Is there good ground clearance? Im always afraid that those things hang to low. I love the idea but Im always thinking about them getting knocked off by some road debris. I used to have a Fram Sure Drain on my Frontier PU and it was great.
    I had a fumotovalve on my WRX for more than 30k miles and it never got damaged even with the nipple section which makes it longer. I am looking into getting one for my SRT-4 as well.

http://www.fumotovalve.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.