dealer brakes crank pulley

This is a discussion on dealer brakes crank pulley within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently asked the dealer to check out some oil spots I noticed at the front of the engine. After ...

dealer brakes crank pulley

I recently asked the dealer to check out some oil spots I noticed at the front of the engine. After waiting a couple hours, I finally went and asked what they were doing. It turned out they removed the timing belt cover, timing belt and broke a tooth off the crank pulley while trying to remove it with a prybar. The intercooler was misused as a tool bin and there was a 3ft prybar near the car. The whole scene made me quite angry you might imagine.

Has anybody here had experience with removing the pulley and is it plausible that you would use a prybar for it? What, besides the pulley itself, could they have harmed by doing it with the prybar? What are the teeth on the pulley for? Are they for a sensor to measure the rotating angle?

Thanks for your insight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: dealer brakes crank pulley

Originally posted by DoubleYourX
    I recently asked the dealer to check out some oil spots I noticed at the front of the engine. After waiting a couple hours, I finally went and asked what they were doing. It turned out they removed the timing belt cover, timing belt and broke a tooth off the crank pulley while trying to remove it with a prybar. The intercooler was misused as a tool bin and there was a 3ft prybar near the car. The whole scene made me quite angry you might imagine.

Has anybody here had experience with removing the pulley and is it plausible that you would use a prybar for it? What, besides the pulley itself, could they have harmed by doing it with the prybar? What are the teeth on the pulley for? Are they for a sensor to measure the rotating angle?

Thanks for your insight.
    Your post doesn't make any sense....the crank pulley doesn't have any teeth on it. Are you sure it was a "prybar" too? In order to take off a crank pulley (which is held on with a huge bolt) you need a "breaker bar," which looks like a huge wrench with a long @ss handle. As far as "misusing" the intercooler as a parts bin, don't worry about it dude because your intercooler is made out of metal, it'll last....pretty much everyone uses their IC as a parts bin when they work on their car. If they had broken a tooth off a cam sproket (sprokets have teeth, pulleys don't) then I would be SERIOUSLY worried because it could mess up your timing and generally screw up your valvetrain, but since it's only the crank pulley like you said, I wouldn't think any serious engine damage could occur. You need to find out EXACTLY what happened though, since your story has a lot of technical inaccuracies that don't make any sense.....if you come back with more info I can be more helpful, good luck....sorry to hear about your car/crappy service

~Tim

Subaru of Westborough used my IC as a tool shelf, and left a nice golfball sized dent in the fins

idiots!

they're out of business now though.. shocker, huh?

Sorry, I shouldn't have said pulley. I guess it was the the crank sproket. The timing belt wraps around it and it has teeth on the edge. They replaced the part (at least they told me so) with a new part afterwards. Is it possible they had to use a prybar for this? My understanding is that that's how they broke off the tooth.

Originally posted by DoubleYourX
    Sorry, I shouldn't have said pulley. I guess it was the the crank sproket. The timing belt wraps around it and it has teeth on the edge. They replaced the part (at least they told me so) with a new part afterwards. Is it possible they had to use a prybar for this? My understanding is that that's how they broke off the tooth.

My point in saying that was that there is no such thing as a crank sproket....if your car runs without any problem and looks normal on a basic visual inspection, I would say you're good to go, replacing that part should have solved it. If there are any problems down the road, I think you have perfect grounds to make them fix it for free.

~Tim