Banshee Like Noise at 125mph +
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Banshee Like Noise at 125mph + within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just bought a 2002 WRX Wagon, all stock, and went out and wrung it out Sunday. WOW!!! [Giggles like a ...

Banshee Like Noise at 125mph +

Just bought a 2002 WRX Wagon, all stock, and went out and wrung it out Sunday.

WOW!!! [Giggles like a little girl]

One issue that may or may not be minor. When I go on a straight stretch that I use for high-speed running there was train-like whistle sound that seemed to come from under the hood at about 125mph. I don't know if was the turbo or not and I got right off it the instant I heard it.

The previous owner was very anal about the car and has every single record about the car since its purchase. The car has 50,000 miles on it. So I don't think it was an issue of car abuse. I notice no other performance/turbo issues from the car.

Has anyone else had this and should I be concerned?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Never heard it myself, but it comes from your side mirrors. Nothing to be worried about. You can tuck them in if you want to go that fast without the howling.
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

^what he said

Thanks guys.

I have never owned a turbo car and I'm always afraid I'll damage the turbo. I just visions of the turbo attempting to become a Quisenart inside my engine bay.

Originally posted by adam3482p
    Never heard it myself, but it comes from your side mirrors. Nothing to be worried about. You can tuck them in if you want to go that fast without the howling.

Yeah I agree. I always hear it when im going 130, scary at first hehe.
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

I like to think of the "Banshee Howl" (Nice term for it guy!..<G>) as my "Slow my ass down before I become airborn" kinda thing!

You know,
    Sorta like those Stall indicaters on an airplane that lets you know your about to meet TerraFirma when you slow em down to much?

Just tuck em in and pray Mr. Deer is asleep.........

Shotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

also pray mr patrolman is asleep 125 = reckless driving = jailtime in many states

ACD KNOWS!

Another thing to do if you like being able to drive while using both mirrors is to just roll the passenger side window down a tad. It makes the noise go away and you still have the use of both mirrors. It scared me at first 2.

Glad I saw this thread. Thanks for the info

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.