Help! Made big mistake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help! Made big mistake within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just made a big mistake, I am pretty sure I mistook the transmission fluid pan for the oil pan. ...

Help! Made big mistake

I just made a big mistake, I am pretty sure I mistook the transmission fluid pan for the oil pan. I undid the bolt on the pan just behind the drivers front tire and pink/purple fluid came out. I have it in the catch pan, I am guessing this is the trans fluid? If so it should be ok to just pour back in? I have a 4EAT. If this is the trans pan, where is the oil pan? under that plastic shield?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yeah, if it is purple-ish then it is definately not motor oil, and although I'm not familiar with the 4eat, I am pretty sure that location you described is the tranny fluid pan. Check your dipstick for your transmission and see if it's empty, the dipstick is right next to the turbo, under the intercooler.

If you did accidentally drain your tranny, DO NOT put the oil back in, it's not worth it in any respect. Go buy some ATF and refill it with fresh fluids (pour it right down the hole where your dipstick is). Be on the safe side, it won't be too expensive and it'll be worth it in the long run. As far as the motor oil goes, it's underneath the plastic skidplate, on the bottom of the black painted oil pan. Good luck,

~Tim

Something isn't right, i put the trans fluid back in and the trans is just slipping. The fluid level is way over full so it's like the trans isn't getting the fluid now. I did pour too much back in in the beginning and some overflowed onto the engine.

Also smoke is coming up under the turbo when the trans is put in gear.

If I get new trans fluid, how much should I put in?

Or is something else wrong, like short or disconnected hose?

if the fluid overflowed onto the engine you put WAAAAAY to much in.

Check your owners manual for the proper amount to put in and the right proceedure to change the fluid.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

Oh ****, I think/hope I drained the trans. fluid and put it into the differential resovior. I was checking the dipstick on the passenger side thnking that was the ATF. That WAS reading low after I drained whatever was in the pan. So that is where I filled it back into and now it is way over full.

What kind of fluid does that require? is it also purplish? Is there a way I can bleed something or check something to make sure that is getting fluid again?

Not only was I driving around with no trans fluid but now I have trans fluid in the differential.

I don't have my owners manual with me, go figure.
    Last edited by banderson; 08-08-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Well, I put a couple of quarts of ATF fluid in the ATF fluid resovior and the car doesn't slip now and it wasn't smoking. I do however have tranny fluid in the differential housing now, that's what I get for doing this without my manual.

I have a jiffy lube about a mile and a half away from my house, I'm guess I can get there ok without damaging the differential? When I get there I'm going to have them flush both the differential and ATF.

Just a suggestion, but while you are in the Jiffy Lube you might want to have someone drive you over to the stealership to pick up an owners manual, or maybe check out mysubaru.com to read the one online.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

I know, I know. I left my owners manual at work. I was using it on Friday to look up oil types and left it on my desk. I had a quick reference book on the car, but it must have not been complete but it showed the manual transmission fluid side(passenger side) as the only TF location. ATF dipstick on the driver side is so buried I couldn't have found it unless I was purposely looking for it.

It's not been a good day, I couldn't get the oil filter off, that thing is TOUGH. Plus I walked 2 miles each way back and forth to Autozone buying crap.

Learning experiences are better so long as nothing fries or blows up! :-)

If you had troubles with the filter then a suggestion would be to look up the little cups they have for pulling the oil filter. Just make sure that it fits the oil filter that you are always going to purchase. I have both the little cap and a funky wrench, but the wrench was only in the event that they don't have the purolator filter and I have to get something else (NEVER FRAM).
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

Originally posted by Retro
    If you had troubles with the filter then a suggestion would be to look up the little cups they have for pulling the oil filter. Just make sure that it fits the oil filter that you are always going to purchase. I have both the little cap and a funky wrench, but the wrench was only in the event that they don't have the purolator filter and I have to get something else (NEVER FRAM).
    go for the K&N. You can't beat having that 1 inch nut on the end to remove the filter with! It's never hard to get off just grab your socket wrench and turn!

I actually have a K&N in there now because they ran out of the purolator. The K&N seems to be leaking a bit though, I'll give it an extra 1/4 turn, but if it doesn't stop leaking I'll have to cross them off my list.

why not fram?

oh man. I always like to say- changing the oil isn't that hard- what can go wrong? I guess you found out. Bummer.

By the way - FRAM is fine. If you have the option get a purolator or a WIX or something cause they are better- but FRAM is not as bad as people make them out to be. They just aren't quite as good as some other ones. There are a lot of oil filter snobs around here

Of course- I don't use Fram either

I've got a fram on mine right now. . .

It doesnt leak, my car runs great, what needs changing?
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

I actually have a K&N in there now because they ran out of the purolator. The K&N seems to be leaking a bit though, I'll give it an extra 1/4 turn, but if it doesn't stop leaking I'll have to cross them off my list.
    Before you write off any brand. Are you sure you installed it correctly. The old gasket was gone and you didn't overtighten the new filter. You don't use the nut on the end to put the filter on. you'll crush the gasket and it will leak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast