Clutch Slipping

This is a discussion on Clutch Slipping within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm at about 70000 miles and my clutch is finally starting to slip in fourth and fifth gear. I'm assuming ...

Clutch Slipping

I'm at about 70000 miles and my clutch is finally starting to slip in fourth and fifth gear. I'm assuming this is normal and that I'll need a new clutch soon...

But the other day when I was looking at my engine I noticed that the clutch fluid reservoir cap was half open. I have a turboxs intercooler in my way and I couldn't get the cap back on so i just left it. So I was wondering should I try to bleed my clutch now or just wait until I get a new clutch? The clutch pedal feels great and the clutch disengages completely just like it always has so I'm thinking I should just leave it.

So I guess my question is, could air or water in the fluid prevent the clutch from engaging completely, or would it just prevent it from disengaging when you push the pedal down?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm at a few over 60k and seeing some slipping also...
    Did you find out why yet?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Poocaman
    I'm at about 70000 miles and my clutch is finally starting to slip in fourth and fifth gear. I'm assuming this is normal and that I'll need a new clutch soon...

But the other day when I was looking at my engine I noticed that the clutch fluid reservoir cap was half open. I have a turboxs intercooler in my way and I couldn't get the cap back on so i just left it. So I was wondering should I try to bleed my clutch now or just wait until I get a new clutch? The clutch pedal feels great and the clutch disengages completely just like it always has so I'm thinking I should just leave it.

So I guess my question is, could air or water in the fluid prevent the clutch from engaging completely, or would it just prevent it from disengaging when you push the pedal down?
    Definitely bleed the clutch and get that cap on. You'll absorb tons of water with the cap off.

A bit weird for it to slip in fourth and fifth. Usually it starts out low where the clutch has to handle the most torque.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

let me ask you...I have not even had mine for a week...it's an '02 with 89k...when I put my foot into the throttle...1st through 3rd...I feel like a hesitation...very quick and multiple times through the rpm climb...but I do not see the normal spike of rpms associated with clutch slippage...I have been thinking it's from the idiot dealer filling the car with crap gas?...as I under stand these cars need premium

i think it slips in 4th and 5th because that is when there is the most load on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver
    i think it slips in 4th and 5th because that is when there is the most load on the motor.

my past experiences with clutch issues is when you get on it...usaully half to wot, you will feel the slip and the rpms climb right up to wot...and you go no faster...go figure...do you have this in your lower gears above 3000 rpms on a hard accel?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver
    That is correct. If a clutch doesn't slip in it's highest gear, it doesn't slip.

Quote Originally Posted by GV27
    Definitely bleed the clutch and get that cap on. You'll absorb tons of water with the cap off.

A bit weird for it to slip in fourth and fifth. Usually it starts out low where the clutch has to handle the most torque.
    So how does one go about bleeding the clutch?
    I didn't see that covered in the big maintance pdf I downloaded.
    I haven't changed my brake fluid yet, are they run off of the same system?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubeN'Siren
    So how does one go about bleeding the clutch?
    I didn't see that covered in the big maintance pdf I downloaded.
    I haven't changed my brake fluid yet, are they run off of the same system?
    They are separate systems, but they bleed the same way.

Is it possible to check clutch height by depressing the pedal, and looking at the resevoir level, or is it necessary to get under the car and move the parts by hand.
    I don't really want to get under the car this time of year...but the dealer wants 99 bucks to check it out...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubeN'Siren
    Is it possible to check clutch height by depressing the pedal, and looking at the resevoir level, or is it necessary to get under the car and move the parts by hand.
    I don't really want to get under the car this time of year...but the dealer wants 99 bucks to check it out...
    The slave cylinder is mounted to the top of the trans. Remove the IC, have someone pump the pedal, hold the pedal, and release the pressure from the bleeder on the slave cylinder. It bleeds just like brakes.

Edit: I also don't think this is your problem. If you are slipping in 4th and 5th, your clutch is on it's way, and will only get worse.

Thanks.
    So far I've only noticed it mainly in 2nd-3rd.
    I don't speed for the main part of my driving, so I never really "get on it" in 4th or 5th though.