Rotating tires with a floor jack...

This is a discussion on Rotating tires with a floor jack... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm way overdue on rotating my tires. I need an oil change so I figure I'll rotate them when I ...

Rotating tires with a floor jack...

I'm way overdue on rotating my tires. I need an oil change so I figure I'll rotate them when I change my oil tomorrow. The only jack I have is the trunk jack, so I'm buying a floor jack today.

I know you can jack up the front or rear, but that makes it hard to rotate the tires since we're supposed to go front to back and vice versa. Is it possible to jack up one side of the car? If so, where do I put the jack? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No one knows? C'mon!

I wouldn't do that. First it's not safe and second it will make the car flex kinda bow around the jack. Get some jack stands and do it right. I know it's a bummer but you will use them often.

If you have to, you can rotate the tires with one jack by using the spare tire. It'll take a while...
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

I jack up one side of the car using two jacks. Works for me. You dont have to take it up very far. Just make sure you are working on a good surface.

I did the same thing when I rotated my tires for the first time. The next time I just put the car on jack stands.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

And where do you put the stands? On that little seam? It looks like it will bend over.

Just behind the front tires and just ahead of the rear tires you will see that the seam is reinforced with extra metal. Those are your jack points.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just jack the whole side of the car up. It will NOT flex around the jack. Works just fine. I use a piece of wood for a pad and use the rear portion of the front subframe.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

And using only the jack is still unsafe.

Can I use jack stands on one side of the car instead of front or back?

Anybody have a pic of where I put the jack stands?

Do a search, you will find it. Many us have had the issue of "Where do I put the freakin' jack!?!@?". All the gearheads I know say stuff like, "just put it on a reinforced part of the subframe man", or "Just look for the firewall and hook it up under there man", or some such stuff which comes out to be gibberish to me.

Oh, and when you do find the topic you will still be a bit weary because I don't quite agree with putting a jack under the plate that attaches to the two, uhm... cross members (I think).
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

Be safe! Just because you can do something a certain way... doesn't mean you should...

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

I Support ClubWRX
    See the disclaimer at the end of all my posts regarding the value of my opinions.

Next, don't use a jack at all to change your oil. You don't have to and since you don't have stands, it's completely unsafe. Just lie on the ground with the car on its wheels.

For the rotation, you can use the car jack and the floor jack together. Check your manual for the correct jack points on the body seams on either side of the car. Make sure to use either an adapter for the floor jack, a narrow-headed floor jack, or a piece of wood or something - DO NOT use a wide floor jack on the jacking point, as the floor jack contact area would be wider than the jacking point itself and you will deform the metal on the car (bad)! The floor jack contact area has to be no wider than the car jack contact area - if it's wider, you will damage the seam on the car's side. Or, as others said, use a hard point on the chassis (frame hard point) for the floor jack.

After you've loosened the lug nuts, jack the side of the car up. Remove one wheel, and lay it flat on the ground, face up, right next to the jack itself so that if the jack fails, the car will fall on the wheel, not the ground, and you will be out a wheel, not brakes + suspension + whatever.

Check the brakes, steering, linkages, boots, whatever WITHOUT GETTING UNDER THE CAR AT ANY POINT. Remove the other wheel, quickly put it on the hub you just checked, get some lug nuts on it just in case a jack fails, and take the wheel from the ground with you to the other hub (now bare). Put the wheel on the ground again as above, do the visual checks, then put the wheel on the hub. Now you can casually put all the lugs back on both wheels, tighten a bit, lower the car, tighten more, torque the lugs, and do the other side.

Be really careful.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

last time i did the rotation on the rex, i used the forklift at work and adjusted the skids to the correct places, used a star wrench to remove the lugs and was done with the whole car, no joke 10 minutes,i just made sure to put wheel choks in front and behind the wheels on the other side while i worked. i know im ---->