When to go synthetic oil?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on When to go synthetic oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm approaching 3000 miles, my first oil change. been thinking about going synthectic, need suggestions. is it too soon? will ...

str

When to go synthetic oil?

I'm approaching 3000 miles, my first oil change. been thinking about going synthectic, need suggestions. is it too soon? will the dealer do it?
    2004 Black Forester XT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

str

I'm new to the board, but from what I've read, you should possibly go 2 oil changes before going to synth for proper seating of the machined parts (?) I changed to synth at 2600 miles, and after reading numerous posts on the subject, I would have waited until my 6000 mile service to change to synth. Just my .02

Steve

P.S. See "coming up on 3k miles, got some oil ?'s" about 3 posts down from yours in this forum...
    Last edited by maxpower; 08-02-2002 at 10:38 AM.
    When restoring my first "ride", a 71 Ford Torino, I used cut up beer cans as backer for bondo. Theory was, aluminum wouldn't rust, so why not?

Re: When to go synthetic oil?

Originally posted by str
    I'm approaching 3000 miles, my first oil change. been thinking about going synthectic, need suggestions. is it too soon? will the dealer do it?
    opinions vary vastly on this issue. some say change right after the B/I to remove any unwanted filings from the cycle, some say use traditional oil for the first 2 changes then go to syn.

there is no right answer. subaru is REALLY expensive for an oil change (at least around here)

run some searches to get everyone's opinion.

dR

Check this thread....it may help you.

coming up on 3k miles, got some oil ?'s

The general consensus is: wait until the 7500 mile oil change before the conversion.

This may be irrelevant, but I had a Aprilia Falco motorcycle. Aprilia put in synthetic oil right from the factory. The bike ran great, but despite my careful breakin, it was an oil burner. This is a common trait, per the Falco boards. I really suspect that the oil burning was a direct result of this practice. Conversely, I waited until later in the game to convert my SV650 from dino to synthetic and the bike never needed a drop between oil changes.
    Last edited by ScoobySteve; 08-02-2002 at 07:37 PM.
    Old, but not slow.

hey scoobysteve

would it help my case if, on my next oil change (@5500 miles), I went back to conventional oil for 3000 miles and THEN resumed using synth, or should I just stick with synth?

Thanks,

Steve
    When restoring my first "ride", a 71 Ford Torino, I used cut up beer cans as backer for bondo. Theory was, aluminum wouldn't rust, so why not?

Re: hey scoobysteve

Originally posted by maxpower
    would it help my case if, on my next oil change (@5500 miles), I went back to conventional oil for 3000 miles and THEN resumed using synth, or should I just stick with synth?

Thanks,

Steve
    I would stay with the synthetic at this point.
    Old, but not slow.

stick with your oil, whatever and whenever you pick it

Everyone disagrees with when to change to synthetic. My personal thought is to change it right after break-in (which I did). I've had synthetic in my old 2nd gen 1995 Eclipse GSX, and it didn't eat a drop of oil for the lifetime of the car (synthetic oil from 1000 miles on). I changed my oil every 3000, and I never needed to add any oil b/w changes.

The dealer that I got my car from recommended changing to synthetic ASAP after the break-in period and keeping it synthetic for the life of the car. He's a car guy, and he has a ton of cars, all with synthetic oil right after the break in period. He has noticed no increase in consumption of oil for any of his ten or so cars. He has three or four Subies I believe... one of them a 2002 WRX.

The one thing that almost everyone agrees with is that if you go synthetic, don't go back to conventional oil. That's when things start getting screwed up...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.