dino to synth conversion
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on dino to synth conversion within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; to my understanding, is it correct that its not required to flush out your engine when converting to synthetic oil? ...

skvfx

dino to synth conversion

to my understanding, is it correct that its not required to flush out your engine when converting to synthetic oil? and if so, its correct that you can go about the conversion like any other oil change?

sorry for the nubie ques. never done the synthetic oil conversion myself before.

i dont have to change the filter or anything, right?

i searched nd i got contradicting answers. so i want to double check with this post.

im hearing that its being on the safe side to flush the entire engine out. but since i only have about 8k miles on my engine, i doubt that their would be any build-up that would critically harm my engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just do it like any other oil change.. no big deal. How many miles do you have? A myth is that switching to synthetic will cause oil leaks. The truth is that it'll just leak easier than conventional oil. Unless you have a whole ton of miles you should be fine. I'd also go ahead and change the filter just like any other oil change.

The only time I can remember that a synthetic actually caused a leak was when they were all 100% PAO based. Soon after, they realized that PAO's shrink seals and cause leaks, and began formulating blends including esters in the correct proportion to offset the shrinkage...I think I saw somewhere that a typical top-of-the-line synthetic is around 80% PAO and 20% ester base stock.

It's true, though, that with low miles you don't have to worry about flushing your engine or anything like that. Even if you've been using the crappiest group III dino oil for a few thousand miles, the superior detergent package of a good synthetic will do a good job of scrubbing that gunk out.

EDIT> ...and definitely don't forget the filter. If you're going to do it yourself, Wix and Purolator make good filters, but if you really want to be neurotic you could spring for an Amsoil, Bosch, or Hastings...
    Last edited by Judas; 07-22-2004 at 02:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.