How much $$ to change spark plugs -dealer wants $250
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How much $$ to change spark plugs -dealer wants 0 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is it me, or is this a ripoff? I had my WRX at the dealer for some recall work and ...

How much $$ to change spark plugs -dealer wants $250

Is it me, or is this a ripoff? I had my WRX at the dealer for some recall work and thought I'd be lazy and get a price on changing the spark plugs. I wouldn't mind paying 1 hr labor plus the cost of the spark plugs, but that should be under $100. I was flabbergasted when I heard the price. I'm going to do it myself now, but was curious if anyone has gotten their plugs changed at the dealer and how much they were charged.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's because the flat-4 you have to remove a lot to gain access. Time consuming.

yeah. it isn't a project i've tried to tackle yet, but i imagine it won't be a "quickie" job like an other spark plug job.

i'd still do it myself though. i just dig wrenching on junk. save myself the money and gain the education.

trip.
    molon labe.

Took me about an hour to do it. If you take out the battery, washer resevour and intake it gets much easier.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

I did mine myself recently. It actually was not that bad. I left in the battery, I just pulled the windshield washer resevoir and the air filter box, there was not that much to it.

it can be done in one hour. Not too difficult...

OMG?!?! $250 to change your spark plugs??? Do it yourself! Here is a great guide to check out with lots of pictures.
    How to change your sparkplugs

Yeah, I found that link immediately afterwards, and that is what I intend to do. I've done a lot of spark plug replacements before, so it shouldn't be so bad.

The same dealer wants $12.95 per plug for an 02 WRX. I thought that was a little high too, but I didn't really shop around.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

$250 is f'ing rediculous. Tell them to piss off....you can do it yourself.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

Ohhh My ****ing God

250$ thats not the worst. I had the old, "the only way we could do that is the 30000miles mait. pack. I laughed at the guy, literally. No really, he got mad. (30000 thing costs like 579$). I did the plugs myself today. It was a ***** I will be honest. Simple though. Just a pain to get my swivel rachet bit to do what I want. I reccomend buying a very skinny headed rachet. Now 12.99 per plug is redonkulous. I think the best plugs you would want cost like 9.99 per plug. What are they super scoob iridium platinum NGK. I went out on a limb and bought some of these autolite. There best was "double platinum", what ever that means, for 2.98 (I am a sale fiend).

Wish I was able to not care about 579 for maint. But I am a poor student. Poor poor disgusting student.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.