OIL amount on oil change!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on OIL amount on oil change!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Agreed. 0.2 over won't hurt anything....

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed. 0.2 over won't hurt anything.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm pretty sensitive to overfilling. Apparently high levels can lead to excessive mixing of air into the oil (foaming) which is dangerous due to decreased lubrication. Better to be a half quart under than over.
    (BTW, if I don't change it myself, I ALWAYS check it after. A year ago one garage accidently put two and a half quarts too much in right before I was going on a long trip. I had to drain it out in the middle of the night and I was pi**ed but they were really good about it and gave me two free changes later.)

The manual on my 05 WRX says 4.2 and I initially put that much in. The level looked fine, but dropped after I started it and let it run for a bit. Assuming the "lost" oil was now in the new filter, I added another half quart or so and it's now right at the full mark.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

Originally posted by Mr. Poon
    The manual on my 05 WRX says 4.2 and I initially put that much in. The level looked fine, but dropped after I started it and let it run for a bit. Assuming the "lost" oil was now in the new filter, I added another half quart or so and it's now right at the full mark.
    Well, sounds like you're right around 4.7 quarts. Your rex is probably happier now.

Originally posted by fsidesmith
    Well, sounds like you're right around 4.7 quarts. Your rex is probably happier now.
    Oh, it's happier alright. Much happier than, say, the two idiots in the Grand Am that were going intentionally slow on the way home from work this evening, only to floor it when I moved out to pass them. I was going to downshift into 3rd but figured, why bother? No need to.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12