Service help

This is a discussion on Service help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I am currenly performing my maintenance and while I was under the car, I notices some fluid right ...

Exclamation Service help

Hey everyone,

I am currenly performing my maintenance and while I was under the car, I notices some fluid right under the transmission. Looks clean but I also notice alot of dirt on it. I checked for leaks and I really do not notice where it is coming from.

I have never launched the car for the whole time I've owned it since it is my daily driver. Any suggestions on what or where to check?

I may just go ahead and change the gear oil while under there just to make sure everything is OK. I've never done it before so I may need suggestions. I will be reading the tutorials as well just so I don't get the "do a seach noob" bit.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here's an image of where the fluid was...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00207.jpg  

I may be wrong but I believe what you are seeing is the green shipping grease protection they put on the tranny/engine it may have just gotten hot and collected road grime.

Just get you some Kerosene and a rag and wipe it down, It comes off easy.

Make sure the engine/tranny is cool and DONT SMOKE or use a blow torch nearby!

Shotgun

Originally posted by ShotgunTC88

Just get you some Kerosene and a rag and wipe it down, It comes off easy.

Make sure the engine/tranny is cool and DONT SMOKE or use a blow torch nearby!
    You know...for all those times you light a blowtorch then work under your car
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I wiped off the excess fluids on it. It actually smelled like gear oil. I changed the gear oil just in case and the color seem different. My gear oil was a little darker from what I observed. I did not use synthetic though since I will be headed to MPJ in about one month for my 30,000 mile service and do a little more observing.

Originally posted by Trailboss
    Always cover your ass my man*...............

Shotgun

(*This message is intended for moderaters only!, General Rexxers use at your own risk!!)

+1

Originally posted by driverj
    I wiped off the excess fluids on it. It actually smelled like gear oil. I changed the gear oil just in case and the color seem different. My gear oil was a little darker from what I observed. I did not use synthetic though since I will be headed to MPJ in about one month for my 30,000 mile service and do a little more observing.
    Gee, I thought I was anal!!........

Just wipe the suspect area down and peek back under there in a couple of days.

Shotgun

Originally posted by Trailboss
    H/J, I just had to tell you this Josh.........

I was pullin the gas tank on the 57 Belair I used to have and dropped it down on my stomach to remove while layin on a creeper.........

It was only then I remembered my LITE CIGERETTE!!!

I spit that mofo outta my mouth and set a distance record with it.

Only me would do this kinda sht...........As you well know

Shotgun
    (h/j off)

Originally posted by ShotgunTC88
    Gee, I thought I was anal!!........

Just wipe the suspect area down and peek back under there in a couple of days.

Shotgun
    Can't be an underwriter if I wasn't anal.

Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by driverj
    Can't be an underwriter if I wasn't anal.

Thanks for the tip.
    N.P..........

Wait till ya get as bad as me and wash/degrease the dam UNDERSIDE when you wash the car!!!

LOL!

Shotgun

I was under that thing 4 times today after the Bay Area meet checking stuff out. I drove it a little bit harder today to see if anything happens. Definitely a leak somewhere but very, very slow. I am setting an appointment up for a more thorough check.

Update. I found the leak. It is right in the bottom of the tranny. I placed it on the ramp while it is really hot and I found a spot where it is bubbling up and traces of gear oil are present again. I am just hoping it will be covered under warranty since nothing is broken, but the thing will have to be sealed for sure. I was wondering if I should use stop leak on it, but I wouldn't want to put anything in there if it's going to risk losing my warranty.

If thats a D/P in the pic above, They might give you **** anyway.

Try and see if any of the bolts on the case are loose first, Snugging them down may seal it back up and save you some headaches at the dealer if things ever REALLY go sour..

.o2

Shotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

Yup. d/p. I decided I'll live with it for a while. I tried to tighten the thing but no luck. No leverage either. I'll wait two weeks and I am headed to MPJ again for dent day and have it checked out there. Thanks for the tip!