Whats the BEST OIL - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Whats the BEST OIL within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; German Castrol is supposed ot be great, too. It's also green and smells like gummi bears....

German Castrol is supposed ot be great, too. It's also green and smells like gummi bears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Question

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell something about Texaco Synthetic oil 5w30 or 5w40 ?
    Can I use any of em in my '02 rex?
    Thanks.
    Toxin

Quote Originally Posted by JnJassociates
    Amsoil. Worth every penny.
    +1

i use M1 5w30 and a M1 filter
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I Support ClubWRX
    I understand the advantage of peanut oil - it has a higher flash point than most other cooking oils, so you can use it at very high temperatures and it won't smoke up on you. Still, there's nothing like using olive oil with a little lemon, some oregano, some pepper, and a touch of salt on a nice steak on the grill. I say olive oil for everything except stir frying where the recipe dictates peanut oil. I'm no gourmet but I do weight over 100 kg so my opinion is not to be taken lightly...

For the car's motor I use M1 in my Impreza (see my oil analysis data post) and Castrol in my MR2.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Since I got my JDM motor I've been using Mobil1 0W-40 and it's been great. I haven't had issues with burning.. When the winter passes I think I'm gonna bump up to 5W-40 but that's still debateable.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Huh? Maybe this is bad. Just had my oil changed today at Jiffy Lube, they put Quaker State synthetic in. Well at least its better than regular pennsoil. Do most of you guys do it yourself?
    TINA..... come eat your ham!!!

04 white wrx wagon stage 2.5

Since this topic was brought back up, and I'll be changing my oil this Saturday, is there anything that needs to be done when switching from regular oil to synthetic? I've just been using Castrol 10w30 for the first 15,000 miles and want to switch to synthetic now.

Sounds like either Mobil 1 or Amsoil is what I'll go with. Price/availability will determine that.

Just wondering if I need to do anything special after draining my Castrol oil before replacing with synthetic. thanks!
    I'm TheBoostCreep, and I approved this message.

Just a thought here. Amsoil has been proven to be #1 by a very slight margin vs Mobil 1. I had my oil (Mobil 1 5W-30) analyzed at 7K miles and was told there was plenty of life left in it. They recommended resampling at 8K. I'd bet it could go 9 at least.

What you also have to consider is availability. I can get Mobil 1 anywhere. Amsoil is not found easily. Mobil 1 is also cheaper. Both will keep your EJ purring like it should. If you want to stock Amsoil in your garage/basement go for it and you won't be disappointed. If you want to be able to go to the store and buy the 5 Qts and save some $ when you need to change oil go with Mobil 1.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoostCreep
    Just wondering if I need to do anything special after draining my Castrol oil before replacing with synthetic. thanks!
    Nothing at all. Just pour in the new stuff as normal. One thing to be cautious of is extending the drain interval initially though; you have no idea what the wear numbers and rates might be with the new stuff (granted, they are almost certainly going to be well beyond "acceptable" and closer to "excellent" but still, you have no personal data) and also, the motor will have a bit of the old fill left in there, including the older additive package -- implying you might not be truly running a good synth with its additives only until after the second drain.

For example, my first data with Mobil 1 5W-40 show some molybdenum, and the oil has next to none. The source, therefore, was my previous oil (Mobil 1 also, but 10W-30 and -- surprise! -- that formulation had molybdenum). Still, no worry at all. My advice is to just go for it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.